Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-13-2007, 05:38 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Who s really a good photographer in TE ??

well it's ok not to be rude and it's ok not to participate, I don't see what's the big deal with this particular thread, however if you do, well in your words there are plenty of more important things in real life, concentrate on them and leave the trivial threads to the once who have time to waste.

Would you react the same way if he asked who you is your favourite magnum photographer(s)?, if your answer is no then replacing magnum with TE doesn't really make it such a crime.
Peter
Old 01-14-2007, 08:43 AM
TE Expert

That wasnt asked.

If it was something like "which photographers do you admire, who is your favorite" Id be ok with it.

The original read more like

"Amid all the garbage and cronyism and crap photogs on TE who is actually good"

If you further take into consideration that the person who started this thread pretty much called everyone on TE, except for a few of his/her favoites "mediocre at best", then yeah, I think theres a problem with this thread.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:46 PM
TE Expert

you're 100% right Paul.
Photography is not here a job, but only a passion and a hobby.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:49 PM
TE Expert

I think Adam has a great resolution: not to pulish a ranking list with the points.
TE is not a run to the 1rst place, but a community that share pictures from all over the world.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:14 AM
TE Expert

You had the best answer Daniel and I remember that thread was discussed here many times.
Cheers
Oh pardon ! je traduis en Franηais:
Tu as eu la meilleure rιponse Daniel sachant que ce sujet a ιtι mainte fois discutι dans ce forum.
Euh c'est quoi cheers en Franηais ? Babelfish traduit A la votre :))
Old 01-15-2007, 05:56 AM
TE Junior Member

you kinda have to find out (and you will, if you spend enough time here) for yourself... it's always a good idea to check the favorites (photos and photogs) of members that you like...

your topic subject could have been be perhaps "who's your favorite photographer on te?" it would have caused less controversy (you're certainly welcome to check out my rather limited one :-)...)
Old 01-15-2007, 05:58 AM
TE Junior Member

that's just it peter... the question was not (as i think it should have been) "who's your favorite?" but "who's really good?"...
Old 01-15-2007, 11:54 AM
TE Junior Member

Hey, I never deleted my account...I've just been away. ;)

To be honest, the internship at the washington post this summer burned me out a bit from photojournalism. 70 hour weeks for 12 weeks took a toll on my sense. I'm actually moving away from photojournalism at the moment and getting more into fashion and portrait photography for fun. Don't worry though, I'll get back into the swing of things soon enough.

BTW, peter, you should add your own name to that list for TE greats.

Mark
Old 01-15-2007, 01:36 PM
TE Junior Member

Maybe this thread is just a consequence of overexcess of leisure time with internet closed to me ...as i said i did not want to offend anyone and my question was launched with any bad intention .

I m not get used to using English language everyday and that s why i m aware it s so so difficult for me to translate into English words a simple thought , more or less abstract ,shapeless, just a quick impression of what i feel browsing galleries , reading comments here in TE ...

-As i go anywhere out , i , everytime more , see more people with more sophisticated kits taking pictures until burn the typical landmarks of every , historical or not so ,city

-There are places in internet in which you can belch , vomit all your photographically output without any limit (by instance not tied to the limit one picture per day that establishes TE)

-If you click , by instance , "Asilah" in any of those sites ...you will easy recognise your "own" pictures because at any moment anyone can be at the same place , with better or worse camera , same illumination , same or better (or worse) inspiration willing to digitalise the world ...So masterpieces (so called ) in TE are just mere uncommented pictures in flickr , or just snapshots in flickr (for telling just an example of photographic site)

-At first , as i discover TE , it seemed as if i were discovered new points of views , rushing to swallow galleries , red threads , comments ,posts...

-But as i see a mere , simple picture with a nice tree(for example) and all those flatters , bunch of points , tones of them , i see that TE means about trading points ...Ok one comment(smiley) can have different senses (just be critic , point out mistakes , the way i would have taken the pic ,tell him /her : ok my dear friend , merhaba ,kalipera ,mira mi amigo ...your picture is good BUT it is highly improvable by some reasons (...) ,comment about surgery in photography , PPh (hate to write PP for Spanish political reasons)...But even in those cases i read ohh ....what a "nice tree" , oh , you have just discovered japanese culture in their streets , ohh your picture is sugarfully orgasmic ...And i , just a awkward newcomer in photography as a hobby , got misled about what is really good stuff , normal photography

-Ok , i admit it all is part of TE dynamic ...So my question , without bad intention , simple was ...

-WHO !!??...in your opinion ,and leaving apart all those circumstances related with TE dynamic, is a REAL ,GREAT photographer in TE that ,in case he /she would edit a guide , photo book or whatever , would be at the same or similar height of other worldwide recognised photographers , could be signed for Nat. Geographic (by instance , or other publication ) and could easily earn his/her living through her /his skills at photography

-When i started the thread i was updating my "favourites" roster because i was fed up of looking at Spanish rural landscapes , Greek cliches , dully coloured North European countrysides and the best postprocessing to reach impossible skies , lights ...Of course ,among those members there are many i enjoy their pictures but i know they take up photography , or at least it is what i glipmse by looking at their works , as a addictive hobby ...I just wanted to look for other members(broaden the TE space) , ask for advice , to any of you to tell me who , in your opinion , in TE is worth being aggregated , spied in silence or with sugar flaters , read , studied ....just to learn a bit , to appreciate in its purest sphere this art of photography(through him or her) ...What is clear is that the best rated in TE is not the best example(for me )to that achievement

-If there is a problem with the thread ,just erase the problem ...mediocre in spanish , as i said is not the same as in english ...mediocre =middle averaged , normal (as we used it in spanish ) but i notice how englishspoken are speciallly sensativiness to good manners and the culture of politically correctness (that in my opinion is just slight and smart hypocresy )

-There are members i don t get much along i consider real great photographers or at least i appreciate a lot their contributions : Designsoul /Others i have some comunication, in TE parameters, who are really good : Coco( without the need of having spotted in yellow the mapamundi) , MiguelP( having spotted it in yellow but accomplishing in its perfectioness that idea of discovering faces of this world through photography ...Others gather 200 points just for a simple picture( those 200 ponints could be expensive and hard , telling the good TE communicator that posted it and commented a lot , that that tree , lanscape , street has points to be amended , possible faults , etc ...)

and ok ...i usually write threads when im overleisured , internet for me is a kinfd of it ...but ...did not have the intention of being rude , unpolite ...and that silly thread could have been simplified just launching to the air a question similar to ...Who are your true true 10 great favourites (from a technic , photographic ...not taking into consideration good feelings , trades , points , other afinities...) photographers in TE ??!!! and surely looking at those 10 favourites lists i think it would help me to discover other photography , perceptions ...
Old 01-15-2007, 02:14 PM
TE Expert

Brainstorm
Sorry too complicated for my poor head