Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-17-2004, 01:43 AM

Default Please, don't take me wrong

My previous comment was aimed at the general views this thread seemed to follow, and not limited to your sole comment, Gae.
Besides, I feel that Adam's position is perfectly sensible, even if I fear it won't satisfy everyone...
Old 11-17-2004, 03:05 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Of course!

And where will we put Kurdistan? ;-)

This definitely is a funny conversation with logicians trying to make sense while those sensitive to political nuances cringe. Personally, I see benefit in having another category added called "Central Asia" that would include Turkey and the all the "Stans" that came into being with the fragmentation of the Soviet Union, as well as the two Stans west of India perhaps. There is no doubt that the huge continent of Asia includes regions with very different climates and topography, as well as very different cultures. It makes sense to me to have those countries in Central Asia in one grouping, separate from the rest of Asia and certainly separate from the Middle East.

Grist for the mill folks.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:22 AM

Default Kurdistan?

Do you want to start a war between TE members from Turkey and Irak, Curtis? *o)
Old 11-17-2004, 03:35 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Are You sure that Turkey is located in the Middle East?

I can not understand the above arguments specially since I asked in <a href=http://www.trekearth.com/read.php?f=1&t=17148&m=33416 target="_blank">this</a> thread, long time ago, about the place of Cyprus, which I knew that was belonging to Europe after all the history I've learned...but I was wrong according to TE rules and I agree with them and all the international geographical sites.

As for the argument of EE I just remind you that even that Cyprus that IT IS a member of EE it is listed in Middle East so I can not see how we are going to accept Turkey as being in Europopean continent (although I hope some day it will be memeber of the EE, but this is completely another issue).

As a coclusion since the categorisation here is not political I must agree with Adam's point.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:57 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Kurdistan?

I've been known to stir the pot before, just to see if it will boil over... ;-)

But actually, I've spent enough time with angry partisans on other boards and have no need to do more of that. Perhaps I should have asked where we should list Atlantis, or Shangrila... Or perhaps Avalon...

I believe my idea has merit, nonetheless. Check this out...

EurasiaNet

They list eleven countries, including Turkey. Makes sense to me...
Old 11-17-2004, 11:31 AM
TE Expert

"I've counted 37 countries on Europe and 33 countries on Asia, that means it can be idea to devide Europe into parts like Balkans or Scandinavia etc."

Thanks for the suggestion. For the time being I'll leave it as is as Europe is a fairly small landmass.

According to this Wikipedia article, the Middle East is "generally taken to include... Turkey", although it is indeed not a clear geographical boundary.

"Also the "European" side of Turkey is larger or almost in same size with countries like Estonia, Andorra, Malta, Albania, Luxembourg, Slovenia etc. in the Europe."

In that case, Russia should be added to Europe as well.

"It can be an idea to add Turkey both to Europe and Asia..."

Yes, once an alias feature has been implemented it will be added. Thanks for the information.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:11 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Shangrila :) ...

Can't say much about Avalon or Atlantis but I can definitely tell you where Shangrila exists...

"Many efforts to seek out and locate the mysterious land described by Hilton failed. However, over time, the belief that Shangri-La must be somewhere in the southeast tip of the Qinghai-Tibet plateau, the highest plateau in the world, became firmer, with more and more evidence resulting from persistent search and research. Finally, in Sept. 1997, the government of Yunnan province declared that Shangri-La had been discovered in Diqing, a prefecture in Yunnan province." Shangrila...

So there, Shangrila has been 'officially' declared to exist in a specific location. :) I recently went to a slide night put on by Lonely Planet photographer Richard I'Anson who had just come back from Southwest China and he showed pictures from the 'mysterious' Shangrila, most of the shops and hotels in Shangrila have now renamed themselves after the new namesake... Anything to make a buck I suppose.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:17 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Of course!

That makes sense as well. I would consider doing this. First I need to take the Carribean out of Central America. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:34 PM
TE Newbie

It can be understadable if Turkey'd included inside to Asia but not to Middle East.

Regions of Turkey are over geographical and historical areas, Balkans, Europe, Trakia, Messopotamia, Caufkasia (Kars region) and Middle East too.

But only a small part of Turkey is over Middle East or Caufkasia or Trakia. So it's really weird that you have cathegorized Turkey as a middle eastern country. It's same thing to add Turkey to Europe when you add turkey to Mide East.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:38 PM
TE Newbie

As a state, Martinique is not on Europe but you can add France to Latin America in that case.

And yes, first, Turkey is on Asia, 2nd Turkey is on Europe, and 3rdly, Turkey is on Middle East...