Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-16-2004, 10:05 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: By the end of the year?

Turkey's membership to European Union and the place of Turkey on map are diffrent subjects.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:28 PM
TE Junior Member

Question:
"Why do you show Turkey on the map as if its is located in the middle east?"

Answer:
"Because I believe most of the landmass of Turkey is located in Asia, of which that part is considered the Middle East".

Question:
"Turkey is a European country and it will be a part of European Union in the end of this year."

Answer:
"The country locations are based on geography, not political, historical or cultural reasons".

My question:
So Martinique is located in France?

So Martinique is located in Europe?
Old 11-16-2004, 10:29 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Are You sure that Turkey is located in the Middle East?

So Martinique is located in Europe?
Old 11-16-2004, 10:33 PM
TE Newbie

This is the matter, rest of Trakian side of Turkey is over Anatolia but only a small part of Turkey is over mille east.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:38 PM
TE Newbie

It's pointless to speak the place of Martinique or Ghana.! Turkey is not a colony of any European county on Latin America.!
Old 11-16-2004, 11:13 PM
TE Junior Member

What did you understand? I want to say that if - as Adam says - he follows a geographic principle putting Turkey in Asia, then he cannot put Martinique in Europe; instead, you can see that he puts Martinique in France, Europe, following a political principle. I say that the principle must be the same: if you follow the first, Turkey is in Asia; if the second Turkey is in Europe.
Regards
Old 11-16-2004, 11:26 PM

Default Of course!

I was merely answering Cert's assertions in his fist message. Please, follow the thread... ;-)
Dominique
Old 11-16-2004, 11:45 PM

Default Better check your geopolitical books...

Martinique is not a country, but a French administrative department (as a few others in South America, or spattered in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans). Based on a colonial history, I agree, which some may like or not, but the same may apply to many other territories: Falkland islands, Guam, Acores, Madeira, etc.
Turkey, as far as I know, has its own governement, laws and language. All depends then on where you decide to separate Europe from Asia: the Bosphorus strait or farther east?
So, please make a clear distinction between your political views and geography... I'm noy vey happy to see Tibet as a part of China, here and elsewhere. But I must bear with it for the time being (though it'll remain part of Asia, whatever happens, somehow, someday, maybe).
Old 11-17-2004, 12:01 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Better check your geopolitical books...

Hi Dominque, why do you take it in that way? It seems to me that I haven't express any political views. Adam wrote that he follows a geographic criterion not political. The consequence for me is that Martinique (for example) is wrongly located in Europe (also if Adam writes: Earth, Europe, France, Other)
Amitiθ
Gae
Old 11-17-2004, 12:25 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Better check your geopolitical books...

"The consequence for me is that Martinique (for example) is wrongly located in Europe"

There is currently no way to designate internal states/departments within a country to different continents. A country, and all it's internal states, may only belong to one continent. Since most of France is located in Europe, it's designated as Europe. In the future it may become possible for internal divisions to become more granular such that each internal state/department may be assigned to a separate continent.