Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-07-2004, 10:00 PM
TE Newbie

Default Are You sure that Turkey is located in the Middle East?

Why do you show Turkey on the map as if its is located in the middle east? Turkey is a European country and it will be a part of European Union in the end of this year. Please correct this mistake....
Old 06-07-2004, 11:03 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Are You sure that Turkey is located in the Middle East?

"Why do you show Turkey on the map as if its is located in the middle east?"

Because I believe most of the landmass of Turkey is located in Asia, of which that part is considered the Middle East.

"Turkey is a European country and it will be a part of European Union in the end of this year."

The country locations are based on geography, not political, historical or cultural reasons.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:45 PM
TE Newbie

this is funny! :) you should show turkey and cyprus in the map as european countries..tell me then how do u know borders of european continent? who determines these borders?

according to some geographiers, turkey is a eurpean country although some others say turkey is in the middle east.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:18 AM
TE Junior Member

According to the United Nation, Turkey belongs to Asia :
<A HREF="http://www.un.org/depts/dhl/maplib/worldregions.htm">http://www.un.org/depts/dhl/maplib/worldregions.htm</A>
Old 06-08-2004, 06:55 AM
TE Expert

Thanks for pointing out that link. Since Asia was getting too big, I extracted some Asian countries for a 'Middle East' section, so Turkey has been moved there as well.

It seems that the landmass to the right of the Bosporus Strait, which is called Anatolia, is a part of Asia (Middle East). And since most of Turkey is located east of the Bosporus, Turkey was placed in the Middle East.

Some systems combine Europe and Asia into Eurasia, but this site lists Europe and Asia (and Middle East) separately.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:03 AM
TE Junior Member

I think that Adam has a good point there, The largest landmass of Turkey located in the east part of the Bosporus is located in Asia (Middle East), the portion west of the Bosporus is geographically part of Europe, but is very small.
Finaly just to remind all of you Dominican Republic is located in the Caribbean not in Central America
Old 06-09-2004, 02:04 PM
TE Junior Member

Default GATTACA thanks for the link!!

that answers so many of my questions!! and that Russia is in Europe [sigh of relief]. but don't take me wrong, having Russia in Asia on trekearth makes my life easier, i normally check Asia and Russia galleries first :)
Old 11-16-2004, 09:49 PM
TE Newbie

Hello,

"Thanks for pointing out that link. Since Asia was getting too big, I extracted some Asian countries for a 'Middle East' section, so Turkey has been moved there as well."

I've counted 37 countries on Europe and 33 countries on Asia, that means it can be idea to devide Europe into parts like Balkans or Scandinavia etc.

"It seems that the landmass to the right of the Bosporus Strait, which is called Anatolia, is a part of Asia (Middle East). And since most of Turkey is located east of the Bosporus, Turkey was placed in the Middle East."
"The country locations are based on geography, not political, historical or cultural reasons."

Anatolia and Middle East are diffrent things (that's why they have diffrent names) and there is no any rule like Middle East includes Anatolia. In Turkey's landmass, only the small part of turkey, Southeastern Turkey is over middle east (because of the history of these part, 'middle east' is a political concept, not geographical) but other places are just called Trakia and Anatolia.

"Because I believe most of the landmass of Turkey is located in Asia, of which that part is considered the Middle East."

Well, as i said, rest of Trakia is not the Middle East of Turkey. Also the "European" side of Turkey is larger or almost in same size with countries like Estonia, Andorra, Malta, Albania, Luxembourg, Slovenia etc. in the Europe.

It can be an idea to add Turkey both to Europe and Asia...

Regards.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:55 PM
TE Newbie

But not middle east
Old 11-16-2004, 10:02 PM

Default By the end of the year?

I fear your source of information is wrong, or quite optimistic. For Turkey'll have to wait at least 15 years to be eventually accepted in the European Union...