To emka: Oh, those Russians !

• Thank you Malgo,

Funny story about Russia.
    I would, however, feel a bit more worried in Russia than in India.

Best wishes,
    Paul
  • A similar thing happened to me in Baku, when I was taking photos in the government district. I just said "tourist", which was enough.
    Gert
  • Funny, Malgo.
    Today 'tourist' can be the key word in Baku.

I visited Syria in 1987. There were very very few tourists then.
    Sometimes people thought I was Russian because of a certain Russian military presence.
    I told them that I was a tourist. But some of them didn't know what a tourist was. Once in a full bus I explained that a tourist comes to look at different interesting places and that a tourist also takes pictures.
    One man replied with 'Oh, you're a journalist' and everyone on the bus suddenly looked worried
    I quickly replied that I was not a journalist at all.
    There was also a Turkish man in the bus. He worked in Syria and of course he knew what tourists were and he explained it in Arabic and everyone understood it.

Later I learned that tourists in Syria were often named 'Alman' (German).
    I found it hard to present myself as an Alman but it helped

A friend of me travelled through Syria in the 1980s and then everyone knew what tourists were.

Best wishes,
    Paul

• In Transsiberian train, the woman who was in charge of the wagon ( so called provodnitsa) saw me taking the picture of the big kettle with the hot water. She was very surprised and asked why I was taking the photos. I explained that it would be souvenir. She was relieved, maybe she was afraid that I wanted to control something. The result was that later all the people around me wanted to see the pictures I made.(quite many in 60 hours). I even upload some on the pendrive of this provodnica.
    M