Blank Bio's - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-02-2006, 07:21 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Blank Bio's

I always get disappointed when I open a photographer’s page on TE, to find that they have recorded too little, or even nothing at all about themselves: no photo either. I don’t think I could critique a picture of someone who gives no bio at all. In two cases of photographers that I like, I don’t even know if they are male or female. Some people state no country at all, others state a country of residence but their name suggests another origin. It’s nice to know, roughly how old they are. Is this a kid just starting out or a much traveled photographer? Some information about the photographer is an extension of my enjoyment of their work. I like there to be a person as well as a picture. Am I the only one who wishes people who reveal a bit more about the person behind the camera?
Old 11-02-2006, 07:35 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Blank Bio's

as the person who has a blank bio I think you are putting way too much stock into it, and you can learn more about the person from the interaction, photography, disucssions etc.
Peter
Old 11-02-2006, 07:48 PM
TE Expert

I think our friend Kevin has been contacted by the CIA after his remarks on the "public place" thread yesterday, and they made him a deal he probably couldn't refuse refuse, they can be convincing, which most likely includes extracting as much information from anyone about themselves on TE!

:-)))))))))))
Old 11-03-2006, 02:19 AM
TE Senior Member

I agree with you and, speaking for myself, have featured a little bio from my very beginning on TE.

But can also agree with Homerhomer, it's also nice to get to know some one through interaction, discussions, replying each other's images, etc.

Not bad you bring this up..but I doubt if many will change their empty profiles..If they even see this message.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:07 AM

My bio's never been blank, but I guess it's not exactly forthcoming either ;)

Part of that is that I'm a private person by nature. I don't like having my photograph taken either - which is probably why I don't usually take pictures of people, if I don't want to be photographed, why I don't think I should attack everyone else with my camera ;) Another element is that I don't want to influence the way people think. If the picture's crap, say so. If it's good, say so. Age is irrelevant. I'm really not quite sure why gender is relevant either? I'm not looking for a date ;)

If someone wants to know more about me, they're always free to chat with me via email. Who knows, they might even get some answers if they're really lucky!

Yes, you may call me a recluse.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:30 PM
TE Newbie

While I do find people's bio's interesting I think it's a little harsh to not want to critique a photo just based on whether someone told you enough about themselves or not. I'd prefer to critique the actual photo and if they want to tell me something about themselves then bonus for me.

-- C
Old 11-05-2006, 08:17 PM
TE Junior Member

Has the bio of a member any influence on the way you write critiques?
For me, it΄s more interesting to find out something about the person by watching his/her photos ... sometimes a photo says more about a person than many words.
I think, through my fotos I give enough information ...
Old 11-06-2006, 12:38 AM
TE Junior Member

I agree.

I like to know about people. I don't judge a photo by the person. Far from it. I just a photo based on the photo, but I still like to know a bit about the photographer. Different images mean different things to different people, and to get to know a little about the person makes the photo different.

Just my view.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:29 AM
TE Newbie

I cannot say that a bio influences me as the majority of the time I only go look at the bio after critiquing (and usually so I can see what other photos the user has submitted). One thing I do look for an will comment on is having a Photographers Note. Some photos are really amazing but context really adds to them. I will admit to giving less points for a photo without a note...