A Simple Solution to the Points Problem? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-15-2003, 07:22 AM
TE Expert

Default A Simple Solution to the Points Problem?

After I replied to evilren's feedback on the other thread, I thought of something while eating a pizza which I feel is a simple solution to satisfy both members who enjoy the points system, and those who couldn't care less.

What if there were an option in one's profile to allow the display or supression of points altogether? In other words, if it were set to 'supress', there would be no reference to points or smileys anywhere on the site.

How about that idea? I tend to prefer simple, effective solutions, and I feel this would accomplish this. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:34 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: A Simple Solution to the Points Problem?

Adam, that seems a sensible solution. Would it be permissible to change from one to the other if you found (after a reasonable length of time trying one) that you think a change would be better? Some might want to change.
JJ
Old 08-15-2003, 07:47 AM
TE Expert

"Some might want to change."

It would be possible to change anytime. There would be no limit on the number of times one may switch.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:49 AM
TE Junior Member

I always advocate the KISS method.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:09 AM
TE Junior Member

it's a nice feature..but I think this site should decide on what it's all about. imroving and trying to be more professional..
or are we gonna continue and stay in the same situation
if it want's to make someone a good photographer and make it interesting for everyone..one has to learn from the critique and think twice before posting an image.unfortunately,the option u offered will lead us to no salution (in my opinion)
I would be glad if people would continue the debate on the "points system " thread.
daniel
Old 08-15-2003, 11:38 AM

Adam

I presume you are talking of the ability to suppress points, not to suppress critiques / comments.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:13 PM
TE Junior Member

What about to make the total of point visible only by the author of the picture ?
The critics would be visible by every one, but the point and smileys would not be visible by other TE's member ?
Just an idea passing through...
Old 08-15-2003, 10:23 PM
TE Senior Member

I like GATACA's suggestion. Doing that everyone could see how the others rate your photo and motivate you to try to do even better,
but you could not compare to others.
And if you cannot compare, then there is no competition.

And not showing the smileys given by others you could not be influenced (kind of - everyone gave big smileys, I don't want to look like a jerk and give a yellow or pale green).

Really love this idea.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:29 PM

" I don't want to look like a jerk and give a yellow or pale green"

If giving an honest opinion is making me a jerk then I'm proud to be a jerk. In my view those who give big smiley faces when they don't really believe the picture deserves it are doing nobody any favours.

This site can only really be successful if people are prepared to be honest with their opinions - good or bad.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:29 PM
TE Junior Member

What a simple solution GATTACA, with all the activity going on with this thread it is wonder no-one thought of it before. Do away with the competition, that is what is causing the problems. Each person seeing their own number of points will be quite satisfied and reading the critiques will give them all the information they need to improve their photography together with the Workshops which are a really good help.