User Stats Delay - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-26-2005, 11:48 PM
TE Expert

Default User Stats Delay

Due to ongoing performance issues, updating of user stats has been temporarily disabled. Sorry for this inconvenience, and I hope to be able to refresh user stats at a later date.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:01 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: User Stats Delay

Great feature
Now each photo gets more attention on its own for what it is worht
You could put all the stats only in the profile if that helps
then on top you could put Welcome + username
If you allow me to say so
Greetings
Old 05-28-2005, 05:20 AM
TE Senior Member

Adam,
I do feel the improvement of the responding speed in the last 24 hours, after you have issue the above announcement. I am surprised to realize the fact that the statistics calculation is the hog consuming your computer CPU time. Here are my suggestions, purely from engineering point of view:
(1) Make the stats calculation at a rarer event, such as at the end of submission of a new image for that person.
(2) You may benefit by update the host machine to a multi-processor machine. Collect donations, if this is a financial burden to you.
(3) To optimize your algorithm. Numerical computation may not be a problem; database access method may be able to get improved.
Have a nice weekend.
Regards.
Wes
Old 05-28-2005, 08:13 AM
TE Expert

Wow, its really fast now Adam. Like a dream.

What you should maybe do is make stat updating a weekly thing. Once a week, at the end of the week, update the stats. Keep only stats of individual photos. What you could also do is maybe take our total points and put them only on the intro page. That way perhaps people wont skip over good photos from people who dont have many points and give points to people who have a lot already. This will maybe allow more attention to be paid to photos based on their merits not the points a member has.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:58 AM
TE Expert

Actually, the reason why it's fast is not entirely related to this. It's partly there are much less people viewing the site during the Memorial Day weekend. This happens every year during this time. It's also because I made a change to something else which improved the speed. Also, user stats should be updated once per day anyway.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:26 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Adam,
since two days ago, (I think, thursday night, to be more exactly), my information seems to be wrong, as I had the three gold icons and now only appears the silver note writer, but all the statistics of critiques, workshops and notes given and useful are correct.
I remember this is the 2nd time it happens, is it due to the problem with users stats, or it is just a puntual problem only in my count.
Thanks in advanced.
Jaume
Old 05-28-2005, 02:15 PM
TE Expert

Thats cool. But my idea about putting the stats on the intro page only..do you think that would work? I think many pics get more looks and consequently more points because of the nukber in the () next to the nicckname. Just a thought. Anyway, its so fast today, its really fun.