A Simple Solution to the Points Problem? - Page 2 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-15-2003, 10:33 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: A Simple Solution to the Points Problem?

This would (should) eliminate the competitive rush to acquire points.

And the frustration that some feel because they haven't photographed the current 'in' places. (Early in the site's history a picture from Japan would get lots of points, over time the location has shifted as active members have changed.)

Make the point total visible only to the poster. Under the photographer's name post # pics posted/# critiques written/# workshops given. E.g., Tom
65/72/9

The first number gives an indication of how long the photographer has been here, the second and third should serve to encourage more critiquing and 'workshopping'.

(I'm jumping ahead of my attempt to discuss 'what' we are trying to do.)
Old 08-15-2003, 10:49 PM
TE Junior Member

I'm going to jump in here and say that a cautionary view of all this might be in order. I, for one, would hate to see this site become so "Serious" that much of the enjoyment will be taken away. PhotoSig got that way and the last I heard it is, for all intents and purposes, null and void.
Sure, I want to learn and become a somewhat better photographer, but I feel a kinship for this site and many here. I don't want to lose that for the sake of too much seriousness- I still want to just have some FUN! Just some thoughts from a wannabe photographer....
JJ
Old 08-16-2003, 01:15 AM
TE Junior Member

"What about to make the total of point visible only by the author of the picture ?" This proposition of Stephane (Gattaca) sounds very constructive. It empties completely the point system of any sterile competition aspect, while still giving the author an idea on how his posting is perceived. Separating comments from the smileys would (I hope) encourage everybody to go deeper in the positive or negative comments, as there wouldn't be a smiley anymore to emphasize (and excuse) a "poor" comment.
Jean-Michel