so selling photographs?!? - Page 2 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-20-2006, 02:53 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: so selling photographs?!?

Hello All,

I have started my own website with Smugmug for the sole purpose of selling my photographs. I have been up and running for about a year. Sales have been slow but they are increasing slowly. As metion before, the photos will not sell themselves - you have to make time and market your photos. (I have just started intoducing my photos, in person, to local wineries - and it is working).

I learned that without your own marketing, you photos are just out there on the web without being noticed.

I would highly recommend Smugmug to start. The site is very easy to use, there are many templates to chose the type of site that you want and their customer service is excellent.

My website can be found at www.oldworldphoto.com

Regards,
David.....
Old 09-20-2006, 05:58 AM
TE Newbie

I'm trying to get a business venture started selling my photos. I have very simple note cards with an envelope in poly bags. I attach a 4x6 print on a folded 8.5x11. Will try to get some smaller paper at one point. I also have a few pictures enlarged to 5x7 and matted in a poly bag.
You will laugh... I park downtown Anchorage, post some of my photos on my mini-van windows, and ask tourists if they are interested in buying Alaskan Photography. My advertising is in the form of a sticker on the back of each photo with a title, my "business" name, and my name and phone number.
Until now I didn't have a scanner, but I want to start a website so I can take orders. It's a little spendy to make larger prints in small quantities so having a stock is hard, but if I can take orders even if the profit is a little less, I can sell more quantity.
I also want to ask the managers in some of our tourist shops if they will buy some to sell. I figure that a little is anything... I made about $50 this last summer in only a few trys. The note cards sell easier because they are a cheeper gift idea. It's also nice because I can take the "mini-van store" any where in the state and sell to tourists.
If I had the right set-up, easy with increased technology, I could accually sell photos of any place to the tourist in that place in this manner. Have a small printer and a stock of note cards, but I shoot film, so that makes it a little harder.
Like I said, I'm starting off slow. After all, it is a hobby. My style is a little archaic but it beats knocking on RV doors, which I have also done to sell other iteams like painted seashells and rock paperweights as a child and beach grass baskets as an adult. So many ways...
Old 09-20-2006, 02:56 PM
TE Expert

One coffee for one photo of yours???? do you think you are Monet or what!!!!!

Claire... you were robbed :D

Can I buy one Photo from you Peter? to hang on my wall? i mean it :D
Old 09-20-2006, 03:06 PM
TE Newbie

Hello Mario,

Monet...I am not. But my photos are are the cheap side of the spectrum. As of this weekend, my photos will be sold in Obidos as postcards. I am delivering the postcards my self - so for a cup of coffee, you can buy my postcards:)

Regards,
David........
Old 09-21-2006, 10:54 PM
TE Newbie

Vanessa, I don't know if you have a Costco near you in Alaska, but their photo processing is something you should look into. I had them print one of my photos in 13x19" size and it cost a whopping $3. The processing is extremely good, when friends look at it they cannot tell the difference from a blown-up film print. I used the Costco website to upload the photo (one downside, you have to up a JPG, so there will be some compression) and went to pick it up the next day. I have a photo printer at home, but for the money the Costco option is impossible to beat. With their prices you could easily make a profit on large prints from your van!

http://www.costco.com/PhotoCenter/PhotoCenter.aspx?cat=2781&cm_re=1-_-Top_Right_Nav2-_-Top_photo
is the URL I use to get to them.

HTH,
-- Curtis
Old 09-21-2006, 10:57 PM
TE Newbie

I forgot to mention, there is a database of ICC color profiles for (almost?) every Costco printer out there: http://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/

I used that to color-correct my photo before uploading it, the results are stunning.

-- Curtis
Old 09-22-2006, 02:14 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi,
I agree with Narayan. I would like to sell too, or at least have like a summer job for a newspaper or photo agency. I do lots of sports shots now and obviously give them to my university paper, but also try to give the to other papers or websites, just so they publish my shots. They would never buy shots of the games, shot by anyone, so I give them.
So that is the first step I think. You can also write like stories and put your photos in them.
That way, you get visibility, and that is a must in order to sell in my opinion.

Very interesting discussion though.

Cheers,
Louis
Old 09-22-2006, 07:47 AM
TE Newbie

Humorous. I live across the street from a Costco. I will say that not every photo shop does the same work, but if you look at it though "profit goggles," yes, great idea. I will consider it.
Thanks Curtis,
Vanessa