Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good Manamo 2011-01-14 6:37

Hi Mariusz,

I find it very odd that the sky looks like you did a long exposure, likely over 15 seconds even with very strong winds, but that the water looks like you took a short exposure...Did you add up a new sky??

Otherwise the photo is good. Exposure is spotless (except for this odd observation I described). Compo could use some tidying up and the DOF seems a bit shallow (contrary to that picture of Cerro Torre that you linked)...maybe a higher f?? it's hard to tell because we don't have access to the exposure data. With a deeper DOF, you could use a close up of one of those interesting elements in the foreground and really go for a deeper composition a bit like here:http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/North_America/United_States/West/Montana/Glacier/photo1266951.htm or here :http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Ireland/North/Donegal//photo916394.htm or here : http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/France/West/Aquitaine/Saint-Jean-de-Luz/photo934527.htm

Anyway, I like this, i'm just offering my point of view.

see you,

Marc

Old 01-14-2011, 02:53 PM
TE Expert

Thumbs up To Manamo: exposure etc

Hi Marc,
thank you for your honest critique.
The funny thing is that everything is very natural here.
The sky is literally incredible but it was taken handheld and without any processing afterwards. The only explanation is... the wind.
In Ireland quite often we have a similar sky as if somebody would use the comb. This strange sky is the reason why I like this photo even if there is nothing to catch eye in it.

You are right that I could have taken more care about the composition and DOF.
It was a long walk so basically my strategy was to take a lot of shots handheld on my way there and back, and spend an hour or two with the tripod at the main destination. The photo of Cerro Torre was taken with the tripod with a very long exposure time and almost closed aperture. It made a huge difference which I have actually even an evidence for because I took some shots with various aperture values and it really influenced the DOF, what you could expect of course.

This photo was taken along the trail. I usually try to make a compromise between taking some shots with a tripod and not boring my wife too much with it, as she was my only companion.
So basically I completely agree with you.
I regret that I did not stop at this POV for longer, I should have come closer to that tiny bush with dried branches, that would make a nice foreground.

You are very perceptive.
Thanks again,
Mariusz
Old 01-14-2011, 03:03 PM
TE Expert

Hi Mariusz! thanks for the quick reply!

And the thanks for the explanation about the clouds. I thought those were moving clouds, you know, like when we take long exposures. But it means that it was the natural clouds formation!! Wow!

As for the hike with your wife, I completely understand!!! I mean, my girlfriend is always very patient, but I do the same and I save some of her patience for spots that I really want to spend more time on! The time you spent on this Cerro Torre shot really shows! the overall quality is better in my opinion. But hey, it's like that, some shots are better than others, and it's good this way!!

have a good day,
Marc
Old 01-14-2011, 03:12 PM
TE Expert

Smile

Marc:
I have actually another photo from Patagonia with different but also "combed" clouds.
It was also taken handheld:
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Sou...oto1259972.htm, also in a rush without proper composition but I like it too.

Indeed sometimes I struggle with myself: should I make this gallery as perfect as possible or share some more photos which are not necessarily perfect but give an overview of a place. I try to balance that. This was a trip of my lifetime so probably I will put more imperfect photos just to document it better.

But as I said, I appreciate your honesty. I completely agree with your suggestions. You have a great eye.
Have a good weekend,
Mariusz
Old 01-14-2011, 03:36 PM
TE Expert

Patagonia is at the top of the list of places to go for me. I hope I can go there one day!

I like this other shot you linked. I understand better what happened in the sky now. The sky in the photos I critiques were secluded in the frame and it gave the illusion of a long exposure, which would not have worked with the running water. My mistake!

About the gallery, I totally understand what you mean. The important is to have fun with it. Not many pros come here to display their stuff. The pros do that:showing just the best. Which is normal if they wanna sell...However, you and me, it's just for fun really. So, I guess we should not limit ourselves in terms of what we post here! Let's just have fun!

see you

Marc