PLEASE HELP, which lens to take with 20D to yellowstone - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-12-2007, 01:16 AM
TE Newbie

Default PLEASE HELP, which lens to take with 20D to yellowstone

I have a 20D and i am going hiking in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons for a week. The lenses I have are the kit 18-55, 28-135 IS USM, and 70-300 IS USM, I was hoping someone could tell what THEY think would be the best thing for me to do, take one, two, or all three, don't want to be too bogged down with weight, Theoretically I could take all, but i would like to minimalize, the IS lenses are made more durable than the 18-55 but the 18-55 has a really good wide angle for landscape, what do you guys think?
Old 06-12-2007, 01:34 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: PLEASE HELP, which lens to take with 20D to yellowstone

18-55 it's enough for landscapes; you gave your answer.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:12 AM
TE Senior Member

Default As I recall Yellowstone...

You won't be able to walk back far enough to fill the screen with some shots such as Old Faithful going off so you'll need a wide angle.

You won't, or at least you won't want to, walk up close to the larger animals to get a nice frame-filling shot so you'll need the tele.

If any, I'd leave the 28-135 at home.

And make sure you've got your panoramic chops down.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:14 AM
TE Expert

How heavy is that kit lens really? I'd be tempted to get a good well designed bag that hugs the body kit and all and you won't notice a thing with this little equipment - I work 10-12 hour days with this much stuff at festivals and outdoor events - otherwise I'd ask myself what i wanted quality wise from the situation - what are you going to do with the images - which is going to be better in low light? Have you thought about a good belt box or pouch?

One thing though whatever you decide about the other two - landscape photography or not I wouldn't leave the 70-300 behind!

Isn't it 500 on the 20D?

Good hunting!

bw KEv
Old 06-12-2007, 07:25 AM
TE Newbie

thanks for the input man, i guess i wanted to take the most versatile ones with me, the bag i have is a lowepro microtrekker 200 and i can't take it because i don't have enough room for all of it, but the kit lens would work perfect for the wide angles, and the 70-300 would be perfect for catching wildlife, i guess i was wondering if anyone could come up with good reasons for me to take along the 28-135. thanks a lot
blake