My east-europe trip - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-13-2005, 01:39 AM
TE Newbie

Default My east-europe trip

I'm going to travel towards the czech republic, slovakia, hungary, poland, and the baltic states, does anyone have some suggestion what must be seen in these countries? and maybe some information about traveling in these countries?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:43 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: My east-europe trip

One thing about public transport if going between Poland and the Baltic states is half the trains and buses go through the Ukraine from some cities in Poland going North. Many Western passport holders require an extra visa to take these trains/buses. There are plenty of buses that don't go through the Ukraine though, so it won't be a problem, just something to keep in mind.

I have not been to Krakov in Poland, but I hear that is the best place of those countries you listed (I've been to all of them, but apparently not the gem city)
Old 07-22-2005, 11:08 AM
TE Newbie

We'll be travelling in a old Volkswagen Transporter so we won't need public transport. Thanks for your response, and we might take a stop in Krakov, but i don't think the large cities will be our main attraction on this trip.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:15 AM
Banned

A few ideas:
CZ: Praha, Ceske Budejovice, Cesky Krumlov
SK: Vysoke Tatry around Stary Smokovec, Levoca, Kosice
PL: Gdansk, Sopot and the coast, Krakow and polish Tatry
LT: Palanga region, Trakai, Kaunas
LV: Dzintari
EST: Tallinn

BTW: I now greatly use photos posted on TE to plan my holiday !
Old 07-22-2005, 01:00 PM
TE Expert

Poland:

-Poznan/Gniezno are the ancient capitals of Poland, so if you like history see them and
-Krakow the Royal city with tons of history where you can see Wawel Castle the Royal residence as well as one of the most impressive old towns in Central Europe. Ofcourse you have to see Auschwitz too.
-Tatra mountains are not too far from Poland and you could go through the Tatras on your way to Slovakia.
- Maybe if you have time see the Polish Baltic coast and see Gdansk. A beautiful old city that is also close to Malbork and the largest castle in Europe as well as the Mazury region which has thousands of lakes.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:07 AM
TE Newbie

I agree with all your destinations, but i must add, from my own personal experience, OLOMOUC, CZ. i spent a year there and it is the kindest place i visited in the czech republic and has not been tainted by tourists. you will not regret it. i am going back over there next june and july.