DSLR travel photography - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-23-2006, 10:19 PM
TE Newbie

Default DSLR travel photography

What would you guys say is the best way to transport and care for a DSLR in a rugged environment. I just bought a Canon 20D and lenses and will be travelling and hiking mountains in scotland and through cities in central and eastern europe. What is the best way to not be ignorant the possibility of it getting damaged.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:53 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: DSLR travel photography

I use a small, padded camera bag that can take all the gear, including extra lenses, and also fit into a backpack. A heavy duty plastic bag around it is really helpful in the mountains, particularly in rainy areas, to keep everything dry. And don't forget the insurance: for $60 a year you can include the gear under your home insurance, which will cover theft, damage, loss and pretty much anything else, at home and abroad.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:40 AM
TE Senior Member

I use a Lowepro backpack that is made for cameras but also has room for other things like snacks, books, extra clothes ect ect... you can also attach bottle holders or extra lens holders. it's very comfortable to wear all day.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:56 AM
TE Senior Member

When I went hiking I just used one of those bags that sits in front of you on your waist and is in the shape of a triangle. This allowed me quick access to pull the camera out when needed.

I was too scared to bring my 28-135mm lens in case it got damaged so that stayed at home.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:32 PM
TE Expert

Hi Brendan, but that's not enough to carry out all the gear, i think that a Lowepro (or similar) backpack or bag is the way to go... plenty of protection, space and very confortable.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:32 PM
TE Junior Member

Hopefully not so comfortable that you take it off to get your camera out the bag! : )
Seriously, if you going to carry a tripod too, make sure that you can attach it centrally to the racksac, as having it on one side, will make the weight distribution uneven.

Happy trekking.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:31 PM
TE Junior Member

I have been using a Lowepro Rover AW II for some time now and am very satisfied with its performance. This backpack consists of two parts: a lower part for your equipment and an upper part for your other stuff (food, spare shirt etc.). In the equipment part I am able to store a body with a standard lens mounted, two additional lenses, an external flash and some other small things (cleaning cloth and brush, films, filters etc.). It is also possible to attach a medium size tripod on the outside. The backpack is very comfortable, stable and robust. The only disadvantage that I ran into is that it was not able to stay completely dry after a couple of hours walking in the Tibetan rain... So I advise to buy a raincover for this backpack if you want to be sure! Good luck, Michael.