Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-25-2007, 11:52 AM
TE Expert

Default Plundering Trekearth

The website http://www.earthdisplay.com/ is plundering Trekearth pictures. I found photos from... me, oochappan, vesalius, Ann75, priyasri_80, hantulaut, carle, VladaM, sfgiant, ktanska, bartove, vizion, flip89, elihesamian, rdfoto, erdna, emmari, Calico_Demon, mrcrow, gelarsen, red45, Jamierussell, leiju, danbachmann, Kenny10pin, Dpbours, HMfoto, backpackergirl, Bicho, John_F_Kennedy, TheMystic, zorro, orme, MLINES, ferduende, blakitan, MichaeLo, Sancha, sriraja81, sam, GrahamB, yani, Luc, datta_pednekar.
These are only the ones which mention the author... There are many, many more whithout names, which i am sure come from trekearth...
This is massive photo theft.
I am contacting them with the following mail :

To whoever it may concern.
I wonder why you never asked for permission to post my picture here... And i saw most of the files on this site are stolen from trekearth.com...
So... you have three choices.
1/ Pay for the files.
2/ Remove stolen files from your website.
3/ Be ready to face legal action.
Best regards and waiting for you reply.
L.V.
Do you think this mail is OK? Is it too harsh, too soft?
I will send it in one hour according to the replies to this post!
Laurent
Old 09-25-2007, 11:59 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Plundering Trekearth

They even say Copyrights for all files belong to them!!!!
copyright © earthdisplay - new look of old planet through photography.....
Even their motto reminds me of something!!!
Laurent again
Old 09-25-2007, 12:52 PM
TE Senior Member

"L.S.
You are using photos from members of Trekearth.com
The copyright of these photos belongs to the members.
The following members are affected;
siolaw, oochappan, vesalius, Ann75, priyasri_80, hantulaut, carle, VladaM, sfgiant, ktanska, bartove, vizion, flip89, elihesamian, rdfoto, erdna, emmari, Calico_Demon, mrcrow, gelarsen, red45, Jamierussell, leiju, danbachmann, Kenny10pin, Dpbours, HMfoto, backpackergirl, Bicho, John_F_Kennedy, TheMystic, zorro, orme, MLINES, ferduende, blakitan, MichaeLo, Sancha, sriraja81, sam, GrahamB, yani, Luc, datta_pednekar, and more.
None of the above mentioned members have been contacted for permission to use their photos, nor have they recieved any payment for use of the material as displayed on your website.
For the use of these photos we would like to come to a deal, we propose $30,- per photo/month.
Please contact the members as soon as possible for the payments you owe them, together with the necessary permissions.
The material you use from the members named above is NOT part of your copyright statement as you have mentioned on your website, all copyright belongs to the rightful owners of the photos, we would like you to change your website on this point.
We would also like you to contact the representatives of Trekearth.com, for the use of the name and possible reference to Trekearth.com.
If you do not contact the members and Trekearth.com within 14 days as of today, we will be forced to bring this case to court, where we will ask for payment plus damage, removal of the photos on your site and a court order for likewise situations in the future."

Now what we need to know is where it is based, and if there is a member who is a lawyer in that country who can polish this statement and write a letter.
Also we will need help from other members, because maybe we will have to ask for information about his legal adress etc.

To me it seems like a website from an amateur. Maybe he is even a member of TE. It's been put together with free programs, has all the Google advertisements etc.
I'm not sure if there is anything to get.
On the other hand, no one seems to do anything on the internet, and if one is realy brought to court, immagine the buzz it will cause and the protection it will give members of TE.

We need help from members and the new owners here, big time!!
Old 09-25-2007, 12:57 PM
TE Expert

Thanks for your reply, i was starting to think no one is interested! So i send the mail you wrote on the report fil to admin as there is no contact page, if you click 'contact' error 404 comes...
The TE admins should be interested to know that, as it is a massive theft...
Best regards
Laurent
Old 09-25-2007, 01:02 PM
TE Expert

Mail has been sent...
I added i am waiting for reply
Laurent
Old 09-25-2007, 01:03 PM
TE Senior Member

write to john.mcganty#internetbrands.com, since they now own the site, and in the TOS it is mentioned that TE can represent us. They should also recieve money for theft and damage.
they should have legal experience, a better letter and the possibility to find out where the thief lives.
Nasty word.
regards,
David
Old 09-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Banned

What about also contacting the administrators of TE straight away (Adam) ? How often do they look here ?

I don't think it is too harsh. And they don't need more politeness than that IMO.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Banned

euh, I was just two minutes too late with the suggestion:-)
Old 09-25-2007, 01:16 PM
TE Expert

I now told Mr McGanty to check this thread...
I'm sure he will!
Laurent
Old 09-25-2007, 01:28 PM
TE Senior Member

wow! - impressive gathering of TE members over there - but the site itself doesn't look professional at all ... either way no one should be allowed to use photos without the author's prior consent.
well done, laurent - let's see what happens next!
dora