Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-20-2007, 10:38 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Stolen pictures !

If there's anything TE members enjoy more than amassing those green points, it's having their photos stolen and pretending to be outraged at the fortunes they've been deprived of. An honest price for image use on that particular amateur site would be in the sub-euro range. How many lawyer-seconds can you get for that? That's not the point, you say - it's the principle.
<a href="http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=2007-09-19T150547Z_01_HAR953546_RTRUKOC_0_US-OREGON-TEACHER-GUN-1.xml&WTmodLoc=NewsArt-L3-Oddly+Enough+NewsNews-4">
"The right to protect yourself is natural, God-given and should not be taken away"</a>
Old 09-20-2007, 11:05 AM
TE Senior Member

For me it's not the point to get big money for a picture. But if a commercial "client" uses a picture of me, he should pay for it, even it is not very much... If a non-commercial "client" or site uses one, they should at least ask for permission. And I think most of you will agree on that...
Old 09-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Banned

"Downloading and electronic reproduction of any image is illegal without the express permission of the copyright owner."

et c'est eux qui le disent !!!
Old 09-20-2007, 05:11 PM
TE Junior Member

I agree with you Luc. Just because this guy has decided that these photos have no intrinsic value doesn't mean he's correct in circumventing your right to choose how they will be used or the laws of the country in which he (and you and Trekearth) reside. Even leaving the profit motive aside, his response seems unethical, disrespectful at the least, that he feels he is in a position to make these decisions for you.

Obviously, some photos have value to someone, possibly beyond the photographer. People do sell pictures. Should that happen with yours, Adam has given you the tools to remove that picture from this website. It's yours to do with what you will. Should it reside on another site, especially without your knowledge, it is no longer possible to give exclusive rights to the purchaser, is it? That may not be a concern of a buyer, but it might be. I don't generally have that worry! BUT, I have managed to sell one photo (a surprise to me!) to Lonely Planet recently that is on this site. I have no idea if it's been taken and used elsewhere, as I don't know how I'd find out. That's the risk, I guess. But stealing it still isn't right, just because it's possible.

Imagine if I walked into a market and picked up a shirt that didn't have a security device (it's not "locked", so I assume it's ok to take it?). I don't see anyone convenient to ask if it's ok, so ignoring all evidence to the contrary (like a copyright sign?), I walk out with it and decide if I wear it only while I'm not making a profit, then my wearing it is a good advertisement for the shirt maker. Even if I never mention who the shirt maker is and that I don't make a particularly attractive model. I don't see that much difference in the logic.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:58 PM
TE Junior Member

So an accidental self-googling brings up your own images. Are you thrilled or appalled to find what you're looking for? Trouble with the former is that there's no decent way to tell everyone about it. No way to convert it into genuine smiling green. Better go for the latter, then.

I think, Cliff, that a TE image is more like a rice grain than a shirt - it's one from a near-infinite number lying in a heap. Of course it's not right to steal a rice grain from the market, but if you see someone do it and also hear the stall-holder threaten to hire a lawyer to recover payment for it, what do you make of the situation? If the bystanders gather around nodding sagely and affirming "a grain today, our livelihoods tomorrow"? If the thief puts back the grain and takes one from another trader's heap, who smiles and even offers more, then what?
Old 09-20-2007, 08:23 PM
TE Junior Member

Not sure that the rice grain analogy holds up well for me... maybe. I think for a lot of us, it does. They're just pixels, and often not arranged in a very valuable way. But - there is some chance that one of them, if we're either good or lucky, may actually have real value. Say, that famous shot of the Afghan girl Steve McCurry took for Nat'l Geo. That's a pretty unique grain of rice, wouldn't you say?

Well, I have to admit though that if the offended end up offering the thief more goods, they couldn't have been very offended to begin with!
Old 09-20-2007, 10:25 PM
TE Newbie

Theft is Theft.... Period.

Whether it is a "Grain of Rice" or a car. Legally, there is not a difference.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:36 PM
TE Newbie

I have had eight (8) photographs stolen from me from this site and used on music cds without my permission. The person who stole them thought that she had done nothing wrong.

Bottom line is everyone must protect their own photos and if you find that some were stolen, be persistent and go after that person and/or company and demand to be compensated.

The mindset of some people, must be changed. They must realize that by using someones photograph without permission, is THEFT.

For more details of my incident, refer to my introduction page.

Regards,
David...
Old 09-21-2007, 04:50 PM
TE Junior Member

Theft is Theft.... Period.

That's fine David. I congratulate you on your clear thinking. I understand that you haven't yet received the $2000 you asked for, but you have removed all your photos but one from TE to prevent further loss. It must be that you enjoyed putting your pictures on TE - you wouldn't have done it otherwise: that's a loss I recognise. But this isn't the one you're talking about: you feel you've lost a large sum of money. If you do get it, of course, you may have proved your action justified (although you won't get another $2000 in the same style). But I suspect you won't. There are more hits for your complaints around the internet than for that music company - that likely tells you something.

By the way, I hope you're paying a good commission to Jose Elias for the imitation of his processing for all your (I hope, numerous) sales on smugmug. Otherwise some might consider you to be taking something that's not yours.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:17 PM
TE Senior Member

who is Jose Elias ? Is this some kind of accusation to a member ? I hope this is not true... I already saw that there are some dishonest (not concerning stolen pictures) membres here, but I never thought in that way...