Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-13-2007, 09:12 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Just an observation & PLEASE- NO POINTS...

I agree with Ann for 100 %. To many photographers get to many points for photos that are not worth it. That's the big problem on T.E. When you flatter someone, you'll get points from them. Luckily, not everyone does it... Be honoust with yourself, please...
Old 09-13-2007, 09:16 PM
TE Senior Member

Maybe a good idea : people could give points to a photo without one can see from who the points came ? This option should be techical possible...
Old 09-13-2007, 09:47 PM
TE Senior Member

Hey, y'all...
there are SO many photos and SO many photgraphers on here, I usually write complimentary critiques. Mainly because if I don't LIKE a photo, I just move on. If it is a potentially GOOD shot and can be improved, I will say so. And if I can't improve it with a workshop, I just move along. It's nice to get compliments, but I want to be BETTER. I want to know HOW to be better. Even my favorites - if they post a shot I can't honestly say is a great shot, I don't say anything. I find shots I CAN say are great. There are plenty of them. Maybe it isn't fair to folks who are trying to get critiques and improve, but... I just get burnt out. Personally? I LIKE honest critiques. The odd thing is, one person will say it needs sharpening and you sharpen it and another will say it's TOO sharp and etc etc. I don't know any good solution.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:00 AM
TE Expert

My father wrote in wood on the toilet:

DO WELL AND DON'T LOOK BACK

maybe a wise idea here on TE ?

TE is "learning about the world", we even do here in this thread: if you say points, you say competion .... don't take it so seriously and give a smile(y) instead :).

Henk
Old 09-14-2007, 07:48 AM
TE Expert

I would like a yellow or orange smiley though ! too many are smiling green :)...
Old 09-14-2007, 03:56 PM
TE Junior Member

Lets face it Dan. TE isn't all about learning and pushing your photographic ability. Is that right? or wrong? Well, to a point it's both.

I have found that TE is more of a fun, tight knit community where certain members are in their little circles always critiqueing each other, for the most part. Myself included. I rarely give anything than a green smiley. Not because I want reciprocation, or because the photo deserves it, but alot of times because of the work involced in some of them. Either the note, the title, the PP, the framing, or a combination of them all. I don't know. It just seems like more a look at my photos and I'll look at yours and we'll all be happy kind of thing. There really is nothing wrong with that.

...but it's just not TE. It's everywhere on the net. Photo.net, photosig...it's not a TE thing. I have one photo on photo.net with somewhere around 30,000 views and two comments!!!

There are also the guys who are dead honest critiqer's and you get to know who they are and start to gravitate towards them for any help. That is where the site comes in handy. I think you have to be a little critical in who you listen to really...and be smart about it. Look at some of my photos...some really bad ones have 40, 50 or even 60 points. Why? Because I critique alot, but I try to be as honest as possible, almost always giving a green smiley though. It's ashame about the point system but you can't use that as a meter on how good a photo is (most of the time). Looking at my "simply great" themes...some of what I think are the greatest photos on the site have less than 10 points.

I also think this site is alot about travel also, and less about photography, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. To me, it's still the best photo site by far I have ever joined. By far.

Do you think I'm off here?
Let me know.
John
Old 09-14-2007, 04:25 PM
TE Expert

There really is nothing wrong with that
----------------------------------------

in itself no, but if it defines the site, maybe a bit. The idea that started TE was quite specific, and now the only defense of the site is "it is about travel", which is nice of course, but not so specific, let's admit it. I am like Kevin, obviously, I have a bit of attachment to TE, because this is really where I learnt to improve and get inspired, but this lasted about a year, after that the childish point swapping (with inane critiques, read as if copied and pasted ad nauseam) was in a way too punishing for the efforts so many put in their photo-taking that got so little review, next to, yes no need to deny it, pure snapshot crap. I really enjoy TE much better as a dilettanTE, when and how I want to, which is talking about shots, photography, and not posting. A lot just left or are mere ghosts of their ever-logging past.

I disagree about the tight knit community, but TE has been great to acquaint with people, meet them, and hopefully, be their friends. But that's not in the TOS! ;-)
Old 09-14-2007, 08:25 PM
TE Newbie

To Lukie,

Hey Luc...great idea! If people don't know who the points came from, then they can't return the favour. I'd say that's a good idea and yes, people should give points and "critique" because it's a good photo or a beautiful photo. Of course each has their own opinion on what's beautiful and what's not, but common' we all can see whether the quality of a photo is good or not!! It just seems to me that it all has to do with having a good reputation here on TE and some get 100 points for a photo that isn't all that great technically or quality wise. That tells me that people can't see very good or they just don't know too much about photography...OR which is the case on TE, they just want to be friendly and get points in return.

Anyway, I think everybody gets the point! :o)

A good weekend to everybody,
Ann
Old 09-14-2007, 08:47 PM
TE Junior Member

Hey...I disagree on your disagreement about the tight knit community...

Actually, I should specify that I'm actually not talking about the whole site, but just some guys I go back and forth with. Honestly though, what site do you think is better - and I'm not trying to fight here. Yes, there are many snapshooters here, but I love this site.

I tend to think you have to "be smart" about things. I know who will give me an honest critique and I know who gives me the same type of critique everytime. I also know that points don't mean anything.

...and yes, alot of great photographers have left the site...ashmame really, for the site, not them.

John
Old 09-14-2007, 09:15 PM
TE Junior Member

OK - I started a them called "dead honest critique's wanted" - I need three photos before I can put a link to it on my intro page...anyone???

Send me an email with the link and I'll put it in there.

John