Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-04-2007, 06:16 PM
TE Junior Member

Default How to check or remove spots on picture

Hi All,
Recently, I bought Nikon D 200. After three - four days of use, I found number of spots coming in my pictures especially those of panoramic shots. Can anyone tell me the reason and how to remove it? Is it due to dust on sensor or anything else?/
Old 10-04-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: How to check or remove spots on picture

Sounds most like sensor (well actually filter in front of it) dust; yes. That said without seeing an example it's hard to know for certain.

Sensor dust is most visible at narrow apertures (f/32 or so), and becomes wider but less visible as you open up; by f2.8 it might not be visible at all. Try and avoid shooting at f/32 unless you absolutely need to though, as you'll lose sharpness due to diffraction. Around f/8 is best, and you really don't need much more for standard landscapes with wide angle lenses at least.

I clean my sensor every six months or so using Sensor Swabs and Eclipse solution. Make sure you do it in a relatively dust free environment though, otherwise you may just make matters worse. Check your instruction manual to see what it recommends you use though.

Something you need to keep an eye on as well is mould growth if you're in a humid area. I store my camera+lenses in an airtight box with fresh silica gel in it. Mould destroys the coatings on lenses, and can require disassembly of the lens or even replacement of lens elements if it gets too bad.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:50 PM

Default P.S.

If you need to remove spots from a picture after it's been taken, the simplest option is to use the SpotHealingBrushTool in Photoshop.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:11 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: How to check or remove spots on picture

Not an expert, but could there be a possibility of dead pixels? It seems awfully early in the life of the camera to have as many dust spots, unless you recall changing lenses in a dustier environment than usual.

I think dead pixels are whites though (flaws in the camera sensor not recording information). Uniform, light to medium colors like skies are where dust show easily of course, and a normal photo editing software should have the tool to clone in surrounding clean portions of the sky.