Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-02-2007, 06:47 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Another feeling...

Salut, Hervι.

We have already discussed about that a long time ago, and I'm not completely surprised by your answer...

"Would you feel less happy to communicate with people whom you know less, but post their pix with the same enthusiasm at sharing as you have, though maybe lacking the studious repetitiousness of ping-ponging smyleys with their friends?"

No I wouldn't. And that's why I visit these "new" people as soon as I appreciate their pictures. I thought it was clear from what I wrote, but maybe my english betrayed me...

About ping-ponging smileys, I think you've totally missed the point (and now it's not because of my English). Most of the people who act this way on TE don't care about points: they usually have several thousands of points or even more and I'm sure they would be ok to give all of them to you if this would just make you happy... Did you ever think about exchanging a few words as a positive thing?

Cordialement/with kind regards.

LB.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:40 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: That feeling.....

Gosh, what a tacky way to collect points hahaha ;-)
But okay I'll have a look hahahaha

Dennis
Old 10-02-2007, 03:31 PM
TE Expert

Did you ever think about exchanging a few words as a positive thing?
--------------------------------------------------

positive for you, and the exchangee, but indifferent to the rest of TE. Not bad, not great, my point is that people do that all over participatory sites on the internet.

You are very wrong about the points. The flaw of your statement is that people could easily use the comment button, now tell me if that would be diminish your good feeling if they did that? Be sincere.

If Adam took points off, you'd find out how much people who don't care actually care a lot about points, and much less about being wished a nice day.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:48 PM
TE Expert

Have points become a brain disease for you Herve.

Who the heck appointed you as a spokesman about points...

This whole site is point fixtated mostly because you and some selfappointed 'truth seekers' see 'point ghosts' in broad daylight and whine about points all the time.. ping ponging this forum desperately with your low level arguments.

If you don't like the site:
- just leave: You are boring...

(with your average of 36 points pr. photo - you think you got them for your superior photograph talent or by also writing 3.000 critics... for a big part to your 'friends'....)
Old 10-02-2007, 04:46 PM
TE Senior Member

"positive for you, and the exchangee, but indifferent to the rest of TE. Not bad, not great, my point is that people do that all over participatory sites on the internet."

I don't see how any of my modest comments or critiques could bring something to the entire TE community, so I think being positive for a few exchangees per day is not bad at all. No more pretention than that, but maybe I'm too humble. Hmmm...

I may be wrong about the point system, but perhaps I'm not and you're just a bit too categoric (but you seem very sure of what you say so you must have some info that are only shared by Kings).
:o)

Maybe that, when one is giving one of these unsignifiant smiley, this person has just the feeling that he his giving a tiny little something. It's just a symbol, no more than that but it doesn't exist with the "comment" button (which is useless in my opinion and that, I strongly believe, was only implemented to shut the neverending complains off, unfortunately without success). Possibly that some people here are using smileys just to earn others back, but I have the weakness to think they are a small minority (much less numerous than the ones who cry, all day long, because of this system which doesn't allow them to get the recognition they think they deserve). But I think you will probably not agree anyway and that's an endless argumentation...

But you will notice that I was speaking only about giving points, not about receiving. You can be sure that my good feeling is not diminished at all when I recieve a comment raher than a critique. And you know what, I am very sincere and honnest. And I feel also a bit insulted by the fact that you thought useful to add that at the end of your question. Personally I prefer not to speak rather than to speak without being sincere. Don't you? That's why, some times I just decide to react to things I read on this forum...

And to conclude, I think that if Adam decided to take the points system off, many people would just loose a very successful topic for discussions and complains. No more than that...

Nevertheless, I wish you a good day, and a lot of smiles, even if no smileys.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:51 PM
TE Senior Member

"If you don't like the site:
- just leave: You are boring...
"
------------------------------------

Hear, hear!
Old 10-03-2007, 03:50 AM
TE Expert

But I think you will probably not agree anyway and that's an endless argumentation
-------------------------
it' s not so much that, but you again made a mistake -sincere I am sure ;-)- which if rectified, could bring you to understand my point: Comments have smyleys. One can easily drop a note, a nice line about a shot, say hello, and "smyley" as a comment.

the comment on being sincere was not about your own use of the "critique" system, but about the reason why it is used in such manner (vs using the comment + smyley) on the site.

I usually talk about this subject in general. Not trying to tell anyone what to do. After all, I easily give critiques for comments myself, just never ping-ponged 24/7 with it. that's all.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:01 PM
TE Senior Member

Yes but the smiley coming with the comment doesn't allow the person who receives it to points, which is, for me, a little bit narrow-minded, and that's why I think this "comment" function is useless, given that TE is not a photo contest.
When I spend a bit of time writting a few words for commenting a picture, it's at least because I enjoyed it. Therefore I think it deserves these two points, even if it's not a masterpiece of technique. I agree that it will definitely prevent anybody to rank pictures in terms of technical quality or whatever else, but who cares as it has NEVER been the goal of this site?

So, now, if understand you well, I'm finally sincere but also probably completely stupid because I keep writting (and thinking) mistakes and mistakes...
Well, that's fine with me. I don't care as soon as my honnesty is not questioned...
;o)

Cheers.

LB.