Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-26-2007, 12:59 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: smileys

Hi Henk,

If you give me a decent and honest comment on my latest shots - no points!! - I'll give a decent and honest comment on your last shot!!

;-) Dennis
Old 09-26-2007, 01:02 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Just an observation & PLEASE- NO POINTS...

...some of what I think are the greatest photos on the site have less than 10 points....

You're referring to me there buddy ;-)

Dennis
Old 09-28-2007, 12:11 PM
TE Expert

I know Tom and Vero and I can assure you they are not kissing on hervι's photo.. Those two young people are perfect strangers.

Keep calm, no TOS is broken in here...;-)
Eric
Old 09-30-2007, 03:00 AM
TE Newbie

Just read this huge thread and needed to go out and smell the flowers for a bit to clear the head... I do like the sound of the rating system, but knowing human nature, people would find a way to get something for themselves other than the intended purpose... in regards to the points system, has anyone thought/suggested/considered the option of 'restricting' the number of photos submitted per person, by only allowing one post every five days instead of every 24 hours? - In regards to critiquing, reducing the amount to say five per day, and one of these has to be either a non-critiqued photo or a new member (ie. one with less than a certain amount of submitted photos and points)... reducing not increasing, would place extra emphasis and vaalue to the individual submitting, in their view, something worth being critiqued and thereby reducing the 'value' of the points currently being given out... and as a result, people would receive considered critiques, which I felt (wrongly or rightly) was the thrust of the comments in this thread... in any case, just my opinion. Cheers, Joff.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Banned

Joffre, I personally do find your proposal very interesting and worth thinking about ! I've read it very carefully and I think it would make a change towards more involvement and quality of pics and critiquing. Now five days is maybe a wee to long ?:-) 3 days ? It might be a bit frustrating in the beginning but the results could really be what so many here wish for. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:31 PM
TE Expert

"Either the note, the title, the PP, the framing, or a combination of them all. I don't know. It just seems like more a look at my photos and I'll look at yours and we'll all be happy kind of thing. There really is nothing wrong with that."

Further people seem to think that only the good photos deserve critiques and/or that honest is only associated with negative comments. In fact, as several people have said, "If points bug you turn them off." I have one person, on whose work I never fail to comment, that has turned the points off. Often when people comment that they'll be back to add the smile, I respond, "It's not important, it's the discussion I value." Since the points don't matter to me, I give two since it matters a lot to some people. Long ago, I tried the honest thing with one smile to people who said they were only interested in honesty - and oh the furor!! "Why did you pick THAT picture to comment?" My response that, "The photo with the fewest points is the one that most needed comments," did NOT soothe.
I have a rule that if someone takes the time to comment on one of my photos, I will comment on theirs. However, I also seek out photos with no/few points and comment on a few each day. Then too, it's fun to follow a new TE member; it is amazing to me that everyone improves.

WRITING critiques is of real value; trying to describe what I like about a photo has made me see things differently. There is a great difference in finding the good points about about as post and saying a fuzzy picture is sharp - (Altho as one commented, sharp isn't always the right choice for a photo.) Further if someone has already commented that the horizon isn't level there's no need to beat the poor fellow to death with that fact. If something looks off about a photo, I will try a WS for my own learning because I have gotten some excellent help from WS. If I can make no difference, I don't post it and sometimes don't even mention the fact that I tried.

I also agree with your comment, "I also think this site is alot about travel also, and less about photography" I actually came to the forums looking for more information about Myanmar. To me, what I find here about the world is much more honest and relevant than what I find in my newspaper. Sadly the regime's crackdown on information seems to have succeeded in pushing this topic out of both the news and TE.

Joff commented about limits on posting and critiques and of course those limits that already exist are part of what makes TE work. Finally, I'm sad to hear that TE is sold, yet I'm pleased that Adam was able to make his great idea work so well for him. It's the interaction that makes TE work and the points are the candy for which people interact
Old 09-30-2007, 08:47 PM
TE Junior Member

Just being honest here: while I no longer often write lengthy critiques, I do always try to find something specific in a photo to comment on so as to be helpful. I might indicate an effective composition, a superb use of color, the use of a particular point of view, etc. I agree that simply saying that "it's a great shot!" isn't very helpful. However, I used to leave longer critiques that addressed many facets of a photo. This thread makes me want to do that again once in a while.

Also, I don't feel that there exists a quality standard for photography. As I myself have experienced here, I have improved over time, and I've seen others improve as well. I'm much more hesitant to leave a negative comment on a photo of a photographer I don't know. But if I see in someone's work I admire a suggestion that might improve the photo, I often say so.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:37 AM
TE Expert

I like the idea of limiting the number of pictures posted! Though in the Netherlands we have a problem with too much government interference and the government then gives us the choice to interfere ourselves; It's called self-regulation ;-).

If I feel that I'm behind in critiqueing or that I do not find the time to look at shots, I stop posting as well. Giving decent critiques comes before posting for me! And it works!

Wonderful word 'self-regulation' ;-)

Dennis
Old 10-01-2007, 05:29 AM
TE Senior Member

I agree with Dennis,
self regulation!
The problem is that our Beloved Homeland has one of the highest number of prisoners per 1000 inhabitants in Europe.
It's all relative, is what I'm trying to say.
As long as I look at the page with the critiques given in the last minutes, I don't think that discussing things here and reality are two of the same kind.
My two -virtual- cents.