maps - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-03-2015, 02:31 PM
TE Expert

Default maps

I apologise if there is such a thread already.
I have mentioned it on several occasions but maybe it was just one issue among many more important problems and that is why it was never addressed.

I wanted to talk about maps.

Great maps are one of the the reasons I am still on TE although so many friends have left. Other sites offer locations but rarely maps with counties etc.
However the maps here exhibit some problems.

1. The major disadvantage is the size of the world map for each member.
I think it is a lovely feature especially watching Achim or Malgo maps which are almost already completely brown.
However Europe has so many countries and some of them are just not visible at all. I was wondering if making the map a bit larger would be such a big challenge? I think this would add an extra encouraging factor for people who would like to join as there are often separate applications on FB which allow you to paint the map of places you visited etc. and they are quite popular.
This would be such site as well!
Now the tiny map is just not readable.

2. The map is not being updated on beta TE -this is fine but why doesn't someone just delete the map there if it is outdated anyway?

3. Regarding the countries map with counties (for each member):
These are even more unique. It is a fantastic feature as one can check pictures from a better defined area. You can also go over the name of a county on the left side and it highlights the respective county on the map in the rigght.
However:
Some countries like UK have plenty of tiny counties though. What happens is that if you have a long list of counties visited -the map stays up all the time so if a county is at the bottom -you are not able to see the county location on the map as the map is invisible anymore.
I thought it may be an easy fix to make the country map (which is in the right) staying on top all the time even though the county list would scroll down on the left side.

4. There are couple of more strage issues related to the map, like for example: Manchester is a name of a county and a major city within it as well. So if you for your photo mark both Manchester county and Manchester town you will see on the map the blue dot which is reserved for biggest cities in a country. But same case is for Hamburg- it is name of county and city but it does not show on the map as a blue dot although it is the second largest city in Germany. There is a lack of consequence there.

The issues I have mentioned are probably quite clear for TE members but I guess the TECH support may not necesarily know what I am talking about.
Let me know if you need a further clarification.

Kind regards,

Mariusz
Old 07-03-2015, 03:06 PM

Very interesting thread Mariusz! You are right, it is an issue that should be solved...

I have sent the link to this discussion right away to the admins so they can have a look already before the w-e.

Amicalement - Viviane
Old 07-07-2015, 06:24 AM

Hi Mariusz,

Your message has been received and read by IB. They will discuss your suggestions with the Tech Team and give you an answer as soon as possible.

Thank you & greetings - Viviane
Old 07-24-2015, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Maruisz,

I have passed along all of this information to our tech department.

I want to be realistic and say that changes to the site's map functionality probably will not happen. It simply does not impact enough users for the amount of time it would take to improve it.

If there is a *problem* with functionality -- something that is actually broken -- then please point that out. It is hard for me to tell if you are reporting broken functionality here.

Thank you,

Paul