How to encourage critiques? - Page 3 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-20-2002, 06:03 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: How to critique?

Right, this makes sense to me. First I need to get the basics down and then I can work on this.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:17 AM
TE Senior Member

Hi Adam,

There are a lot of things I like about this site.

I like the front page that presents me new stuff when I visit, I like the overall 'look' - pleases my eye, like the combination of photography/critiques/travel.

I do find it difficult to keep up with the exchanges in the discussion. Right now I have to open several to see if they're new or if I've read them.

I visit several sites (Dpreview, Luminous Landscape, Amateur Photography and some other photo sites for photography; Lonely Planet, Rough Guides for travel; and a couple of non-photo/travel sites.

Of all I like the organization of Dpreview the most. I can click and get a single page of all the forums and an indication as to whether any new posts have been made in that forum since I last visited.

I can click on a forum that interests me and be presented with the topics in order of most recent post, tell which posts I haven't read, etc.

Are you familiar with that layout? (BTW, run by another Englishman....)
Old 11-20-2002, 07:34 AM
TE Expert

"Are you familiar with that layout? (BTW, run by another Englishman....)"

I have been using DPReview since '99 (I still have my bookmark set to Askey.net!). It's definitely the best out there.

I will definitely rework the forums so the 'new' icons get displayed. I also want to get threads working so they get indented properly. Right now participation/viewership is quite low so this isn't a huge problem. I hope there will be a bigger user-base in the future which will make things more interesting for everyone.

For now I will be working on this multi-version posting feature which is a bit complicated.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:16 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: How to encourage critiques?

Adam, even though i don't know much about photography i have begun writing critiques since that seems to be the point of this site. The only suggestion i can make is that you may want to consider having an option for an anonymous critique for people who may be shy, and not want their name attached to their criticism/praise.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:58 PM
TE Newbie

Default nevermind

i didnt notice that you already can post anonymously.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:46 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: nevermind

Right, it hasn't been used so far. If you try it out, please let me know if you find any problems. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2002, 02:02 AM
TE Newbie

Although I would keep it as an option, I would discourage anonymous critiques. If someone has the ability to write the critique in the first place, they should be able to take credit for it.

Those who are shy should remember that this site is for helping people to improve as photographers. Giving critiques is part of becoming a better photographer too. Just as we don't expect every photo to be perfect, every critique need not be perfect either. The point is to contribute effort and work towards improvement. Writing a critique, however basic, and taking credit for it, is the first step. Your critiques will improve over time, just like your photography.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:08 PM
TE Newbie

Easy answer - the recipient of the critique mustmark the critique as "Useful" before it counts toward upload credit.

Marking a critique useful is painless, it's just a single-click.

On a completely unrelated subject: I appreciate this site, that it's free, and doesn't seem to be full of annoying banners, floaters and popups.