How to encourage critiques? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-12-2002, 12:39 AM
TE Newbie

Default How to encourage critiques?

I'm interested in hearing members' thoughts on the deterrents to critiquing and how to overcome them and encourage more critiques on this site. I leave a lot of critiques on this site, and have benefitted from the critiques I have received here. Based on my own experience, critiquing is a great learning process that makes you look deeply at a photo and go beyond "good" or "bad" to see the underlying elements that make it that way. Perhaps those who leave very many or very few critiques could comment on what influences them. Is it the structure of the site's critique system? Is it shyness? Apathy? Do things like TrekEarth's "gold star" critiquer rating encourage you? What are your comments?
Old 11-12-2002, 06:28 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: How to encourage critiques?

I think it's a good site. I like the idea of a travel photography forum, as that is what I specialize in. I think if you generate more traffic, you'll generate more interest. Keep it simple though. I find some of the photography forums to be too cluttered.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:06 AM
TE Expert

Right, I think if the active user-base increases, it will be more useful and interesting for everyone. I do plan on keeping this site simple and convenient to browse. If anyone has any suggestions on how to increase the number of thoughtful critiques, please let me know and I'll try to incorporate them into the site. Also, I'd be interested in any ideas on how to increase the user-base.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:00 PM
TE Senior Member

I agree the critiques are useful for the reasons you state. Since I like receiving critiques, I give them as well. I try to concentrate on other critiquers and not spend my limited time critiquing people who don't bother to participate.

One way to encourage participation is, rather than allow 3 uploads a day, is to have people earn uploads by adding critiques. For example, you could allow 1 free upload per day, then one additional (up to some limit) for each critique the users adds that day.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:46 AM
TE Expert

There are 2 potential issues with tying uploads to critiques. One is that there are not enough uploads to begin with right now, so I wouldn't want to discourage them anymore. Secondly, I wouldn't want to encourage people to leave unuseful critiques. I can just imagine people adding a few 'nice shot' critiques just so they could add some more photos.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:19 PM
TE Newbie

This is sort of tangentially related to the topic here.. I'm a new member and just uploaded my first few pictures (from the Netherlands) and I encourage you all to critique them. :) Will upload more, from elsewhere, over the weekend.
Old 11-15-2002, 09:03 PM
TE Expert

Nice photos. I've left a couple of critiques for you. The best way to get critiques is to give critiques by the way.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:13 PM
TE Newbie

Point taken. I intend to start critiquing. My issue is, I feel like I don't really know enough to give useful critiques. Not on technical merits of a photo anyway. I think this might be one of the biggest issues in getting more critiques on the site.
Old 11-16-2002, 07:05 AM
TE Expert

Well, we're all here to learn, and writing critiques is part of the learning process as well. People don't have to necessarily agree with critiques they receive, but if a photo moves you in a certain way, or you like the composition or colors etc, then you know enough to give a critque.

After I read some of Sam Willard's amazing critiques I don't think I'm really qualified to write critiques, but I do so anyway because I think we all have something to add. And by writing critiques, I feel this will help me become a better photographer in the future.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:56 AM
TE Senior Member

Default How to critique?

I posted a few (~6) critiques yesterday and today, none have appeared.

I assume that I wasn't that far off base....