Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2019-07-25 6:14

Hello Craig,
Your note makes me smile - again. Now, I have no idea what intentions these artists had, but one thing I can say for sure: A 5 year old child could never do anything like this. Small children don't have any concept of minimalism or symbolism. A child given a large white canvas and enough paint would cover it all with any kinds of shapes or figures, but (s)he would never just draw a slightly curving line across the canvas and consider it done. If I wanted to make a painting symbolizing - for instance - the fragility of life, I might do something like this. We walk along a narrow path from which we could easily, at any moment, fall into nothingness because of an accident or mistake. Or it could mean something else... And the WS with only a small blue dot actually has a lot more. Of course I have no idea what it's supposed to mean, but I wouldn't dismiss it so easily. As for the three paintings in the other WS I would have been overjoyed to have one of them at home (I don't have enough spare walls for all of them).

Personally I often get dead bored by paintings that show everything "as it is", "paintings that any ordinary person can understand". What's the fun with such paintings that leave nothing to your imagination? When someone shows a minimalistic photo here, featuring just a few dots and lines, they usually receive a lot of praise, so what's wrong with minimalistic paintings?

Having said all that, I really like these photos. The child has already seen enough of the thin lines, while the father is still trying hard to understand, maybe thinking that his tattoos are much nicer.

Cheers!
Gert

Old 07-25-2019, 04:01 PM
TE Junior Member

Smile To holmertz: comment

Great comment, Gert. I fully agree with you.
The Kobra painters, for example, have demonstrated how difficult it is for an adult to paint with the open-mindedness of a child.
groet Rob

ps Lars birthday is indeed today. He has this year a birthday of 33 hours.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:01 PM
TE Expert

Talking

Hello All ,
I find the note by Gert great but I rather agree with Craig here. At the beginning at least. But then in just two minutes or so, I identified the paintings. Have you guessed who is the artist? (one of my favorite)
Best regards

Malgo
Old 07-25-2019, 07:14 PM
TE Expert

I don't know about the thin lines or the blue spot, but those three I would have liked to own are by Mirσ. Perhaps the others are also his, but unusual for his style.
Gert
Old 07-25-2019, 07:20 PM
TE Expert

These are triptych paintings ‘Painting on White to a Solitary Cell’ and ‘The Hope of a Condemned Man’. by Mirσ, of course . I do not know about the blue dot.
M
Old 07-26-2019, 09:04 AM
TE Expert

If I understand well, Malgo, after finding out who the artist is, you start thinking differently about the works ?

I have added a rather funny comment. I hope Craig, you will not be shocked.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:08 AM
TE Expert

Hi Paul, Exactly , The name of the painter and even more the sum paid for the work makes an impression and changes the opinion. It is similar with the wine testing or violin playing or many other things. When you are told that something is good or famous, you praise it. There were many experiments proving it and real stories, like for instance of Van Gogh. I like Mirσ but these three paintings with just one line have nothing to me. No colour, no shapes.
Malgo
Old 07-26-2019, 04:04 PM
TE Expert

Cool

Hi Malgo, still I am convinced that you have to appreciate art and wine (two completely different things) without knowing the name of the artist or the origin of the wine.
I readily admit that I too can be influenced. Just like most other people.

I also find Craig brave to want to defend his vision in public.
This site is OK, of course. But there are quite a few artists who look down on non-artists, on those who haven't seen the light shine in the darkness.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:31 PM
TE Expert

I have found this: http://ec2-79-125-124-178.eu-west-1....e-Modern/28341

M.