Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-08-2009, 11:04 PM
TE Newbie

Default Raw Files.

Hey.
I am a bit new in this photoworld, and are a bit confused on what the big diffrent for raw files is. I took some lately and coud not really see det diffrence in that and the normal-High quality.
What i did found out was that not all computer can show the files
So why take them in that file?
:)
Thanks
Daniel.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:02 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Raw Files.

Hi Daniel. Do this: Take two equal pictures, one in RAW and the other in JPG (best quality). Take a GOOD look at them at 100 %. If you still can't see the difference, there's no hope for you my friend... :-). Also try the 'Tips-Techniques' forum. Regards. Paulo
Old 02-09-2009, 01:22 AM
TE Expert

Hi Daniel
And with your RAW software you have the possibility to set the contrsast, luminosity, colours, white balance, etc ... better and easier than a JPEG file
Old 02-09-2009, 07:21 AM
TE Expert

Simply, RAW files contain more image information than JPEGS which is why they are larger - if you do any amount of post processing on JPEGS they lose image quality with each successive save - there is greater latitude to change a RAW file than a JPEG as has been said above. I have known professional photographers who argue for using JPEGS in certain situations but generally I think most pro's use RAW - some cameras allow you to shoot RAW and JPEG so that you also have a quick processing option.

One of the big advantages is being able to adjust exposure settings post camera without losing image quality across a wider range. You can't process on all computers unless you have the relevant software - easily available.

bw Kev
Old 02-09-2009, 09:17 AM
TE Junior Member

When using JPG - data recorded by the camera sensor is processed by the camera itself immediately after your photo is taken.
Raw - is data captured by the camera sensor with (almost) no modifications. The processing is done afterward on your computer. That can be done as many times as you like, using any software you like and any settings you like.

There is a detailed explanation here.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:38 AM
TE Senior Member

Hi Linas. Very helpful link you provided. Thank you very much.

Paulo
Old 02-09-2009, 05:39 PM
TE Newbie

Ok thanks.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:55 PM
TE Expert

Linask already pointed you one of the best online articles I know on the issue of raw versus jpg, the one on ronbigelow.com. If you want to stay confused, take a look of <a href='http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm' target=_blank>this article</a> on kenrockwell.com.

Lately I have been shooting more and more in raw, specially when the light conditions are difficult, extreme or "risky". Nevertheless, many times I do it not because I am definitively convinced that I couldn't obtain the same results shooting in JPG, but a lot because I think "all those people arguing for raw can't be wrong, it must be safer to use raw". Note that I am talking about producing images to be displayed, not printed. I admit that the level of quality can be much higher if the final product is a large print.

I find that for a generally well exposed images, you can hardly notice the differences in the final image (after post-processing) between what came from raw and what came from jpg. However, I find that is easier (or there is a better ration effectiveness / amount of work) to correct exposure and colour balance in raw than it is in JPG. That proves useful in many situations, but I find it very handy in high contrast situations that are easier solved with an exposure blending. While you may have only one physical shot, producing other shots with different exposure adjustments with little quality loss is very easy in the raw converters I know.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Ken Rockwell article

I'm a frequent reader of Ken Rockwells site. However, I treat it more like humorous reading rather than technical.
Good example is his recent article about Working hours - worth reading, especially if you work for some large corporation.

Linas
Old 02-14-2009, 07:27 AM
TE Newbie

from a non technical point, you can crop a very small part of a RAW file and it will still look fantastic as a jpeg file. if you crop the same small part from a jpeg photo, it will look like vague sludge. the clarity and resolution of a RAW file is fantastic. i don't shoot anything on jpeg anymore. RAW is like a true conventional negative, which you should convert to TIF to work with, but keep the RAW original. from TIF, you can make jpeg files to your heart's content, but you still have that original fantastic RAW as your master copy. RAW is like music in dvd format, where jpeg is like a bad cassette recording.