To mkamionka: Pets - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great mkamionka 2020-02-08 0:22

Hi John,
I was not very interested in bird-watching when I lived in CA. That is such a lost opportunity. I just remember the Humming birds being so cute and flying around the UCLA campus at lunchtime.
But your photo shows that there is so much more. Beautiful yellow bird. A finch I suppose.
Nicely shaped bird feeder I have never seen one like that.
Charming garden composition,
M

Old 02-08-2020, 09:08 AM
TE Newbie

Smile To mkamionka: Pets

Hi M,
After settling in this apartment a few years ago, by chance I put out a bird feeder. Turns out the particular seed attracted this rare Lessor Goldfinch. I've been in SoCal most of my life and have never encountered these beauties (there is a family). They come to the neighboring trees in the afternoon and call out for me to put out the feeder and I do. If they're not around and I put out the feeder, I let out a whistle and they show up within minutes. Having pets from the wild in West LA is way cool.
Cheers, John
Old 02-08-2020, 06:34 PM
TE Expert

Hi John,
in the UK I learned about Nyjer Seed being a particular delicacy for Goldfinches.It did work indeed.
However later people in a bird centre told me that Sunflower Hearts (Sunflower seeds without wrapping) attract all types of finches and they my garden started to be even more colorful.
I moved out of that house three years ago though.
Kind regards,
M