Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great emka 2019-09-15 2:47

Hello Gert, Nice picture and as always a fascinating note. Chesterfield sounds very familiar but I didn't know that it is also the town in England. Looks like a typical English small town with beautiful half-timbered houses. My discovery was Chester.
Interesting that even on your first trip you had a diary. I was always too lazy for it. Were you the university student?
I have checked in Google all the places you write about. You walked and walked and walked - 8 or 9 km was not such a big effort (even with the earlier walk to Haddon Hall). In 1966, I was hiking in the mountains in Poland with my friends, we made around 25-30 km a day with rather heavy backpacks. Hitch-hiking was very popular in Poland at that time. I tried once or two times but with no luck.
Now I am very curious what fun you had that your parents never knew and you had no time for photos :).

Kind regrads MAlgo

Old 09-15-2019, 10:29 AM
TE Expert

Default To emka: effort

Thank you Malgo,
No, walking 8-9 km without a heavy load was of course no big effort compared to your ambitious hikes. But you were prepared for that, and you had friends with you, whereas I was expecting more easy free rides, I was alone with nobody to talk to and there was nothing to see. I was just bored.
Regards,
Gert
Old 09-15-2019, 11:31 AM
TE Expert

Hi Gert,
You know I write stupid things. But you wrote about your memories from 1966 and I tried to think what I could do at that time. And I remember very well, even without a diary. I went for the first time for holidays 'alone" (without my parents). They were very reluctant to this idea, to say the least. You were lucky that yours agreed that you went alone abroad. How was your English?
But finally my parents also agreed. Funny when I think about this trip. I was there with my boyfriend and our friend - LF who was not so lazy at that time.
Have a nice day
Malgo
Your adventure reminded me when I went to the Croatia Slovenia border , I was afraid I would go alone 40 km to Piran, in the night. But after 8 km I went by taxi.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:06 PM
TE Expert

I think my English was fairly fluent already then, probably even better than today when I tend to forget words.