Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-03-2009, 04:13 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Weather in Canada - January

My dear TE friends,
Writing this note to ask for Canadians (or people who have lived there or have gone there) what's the weather like in january, east coast (Toronto-Montreal) and western part (Calgary-Banff), because I'm planning another photographical tour for that period of next year! I know the weather's been crazy, but...
I'll be very thankful for the hints that might be given to me!
My warmest regards,
Neyvan
Old 11-04-2009, 03:17 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Weather in Canada - January

Hi Neyvan;

Shame no one has answered you sooner... I'm from BC, and generally speaking (all across Canada) it's going to be cold! Your going to be there right in the middle of winter, so you can expect snow, and icy conditions. Pack warm clothes and leave your surf shorts at home ;-)

- Dan
Old 11-06-2009, 03:01 AM
TE Newbie

Here a link for last january weather in Montrιal
Old 11-06-2009, 09:23 PM
TE Expert

Hello Neyvan,
january and february are pretty much the coldest months of the year. Prepare for a lot of snow as well, especially in Banff (if you ski or snowboard, you will find that it's paradise:more powdery snow then anywhere else).
Toronto and Montreal both have their own sub-climate and are pretty much always 2-4 degrees warmer than anywhere else...Toronto is a bit warmer than Montreal (warmer meaning not as cold).
If you have more questions, ask and I'll do my best.
best regards,
Marc
Old 11-07-2009, 09:59 AM
TE Senior Member

Merci beaucoup pour le site! Il va sϋrement m'aider!
Old 11-07-2009, 10:02 AM
TE Senior Member

Hello!
First of all, thank you very much for the information!
I'd just like to ask you one more question about the amount of sunlight both in Toronto-Montreal and in Calgary-Banff-Jasper regions! I was told that in the west coast there's more sun (just like in Colorado, where I lived back in 1982-1983, with snowfall at night and sunny weather during the day)! Is that true for january? And what about in the eastern coast? As a photographer, that pretty my worries me!
My warmest regards,
Neyvan
Old 11-09-2009, 12:18 PM
TE Expert

In December, around the 21st, it's the winter solstice, which means it's also the shortest day of the year.

Therefore, if you come in early January, there will be very few sunny hours. It's not like if you were in North Pole and it's always pitch dark, but you can be sure that you will need your tripod from 17h00... In the morning, light doesn't shows before 6h30-7h00... So you have about 10 hours of light in winter, compared to 16 hours during summer.

Last weekend in America, we had to set our clocks one hour back, as a way of getting more light out of the day, so the night arrives even earlier from now on.

There is a big difference between Toronto and Montreal by the way. In TO, you will very rarely see serious snow and if it happens, than the whole city will be freeze, as they are not equipped with army of trucks and snow plows - just like New York. Here in Mtl, snow is a way of living, so you will see much more of the white powder and people are dressed accordingly.

There is also a difference between Mtl and Quιbec City, not in term of equipment, because we both have to face harsh winter, but it's always colder in Quebec by 4 or 5 degrees...

For a Brazilian, you are very courageous to come here during winter. My girlfriend is African and she will also see snow for the first time...! Yeah!!!!! Well, almost, because it was slightly snowing during her first visit in Canada... in June!...

Just don't bring your Copacabana g-string; you won't need it!... :-P)

P.S.: Don't believe my friend Daniel Walsh, in Vancouver, as they don't have a clue what is winter over there... LOLLLL! It's always raining, even during winter and the normal weather is between 8 and 10 celsius, while it's around -8 in Montreal.

When Dan is saying that it's cold in Vancouver, he means they can't play beach volleyball in Stanley Park after Christmas...

In Montreal, it means your pipi will freeze before touching ground if you urinate outside... :-P)

Bring extra batteries for your camera, as they get empty very fast under cold weather...

Enjoy your stay in Canada and manifest yourself if you need informations (yes, we have brazilian bars and restaurants... :-P)

Cheers!

Andrι
Old 11-09-2009, 01:02 PM
TE Expert

Hey! Neyvan,

Just to have an idea about how New York and Toronto are not equipped to face big snowstorms - because they usually don't have any serious white stuff - have a look at this shot, where they have to attach plows to garbage trucks!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nyc_snow_2003_3.jpg

Now, this is the Montreal version...

http://www.pbase.com/rlortie/image/53834095

We don't just push the snow, we have to pick it up, because there is too many. It takes days to empty all the streets and parking lots, and sometimes, there is another snowstorm the day after or while they are doing it, so they have to begin all over again...

One more thing: In winter 2008, we received 300 cm of snow, a record for more than 40 years... It would be cool for you to be here during another big storm!...

Have a look at this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpKTyAnJJqc&feature=related

http://super-ligue.com/tempete.htm
Old 11-17-2009, 02:19 PM
TE Senior Member

Once more, thank you all, specially Andrι, for the useful information about Canada in January. I already have my Canadian Visa and my airplane ticket! Now, I'm planning the whole trip itself (where to stay, where to go, what to do)!
More information is always welcome!
My warmest regards,
Neyvan
Old 11-17-2009, 02:21 PM
TE Senior Member

Ah... my trip will start january 8th and will end january 30th. First half in Toronto, Montrιal, Quebθc and Ottawa, second half, Calgary with Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper!
Not sure will be able to do all that. Might split the trip in two (2010 and 2011)!
More information always welcome!