Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-22-2003, 01:19 AM
TE Newbie

Default "Allow workshop" default

Adam, why is "allow workshop" set to 'No' by default?

I think that the workshop is one of the most useful learning tools on this site and wish that more photos had it turned on.

Cheers,
-Adam
Old 01-22-2003, 08:27 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: "Allow workshop" default

"why is "allow workshop" set to 'No' by default?"

Well, I'm being conservative when it comes to something like this.

"I think that the workshop is one of the most useful learning tools on this site and wish that more photos had it turned on."

Yes, I think it's a unique feature which is useful for learning. One thing I could do is allow it to be set to 'Yes' on a per member basis, with a setting in one's personal profile. If there is interest, please let me know and I'll add that in. That will probably encourage more photos to be 'enabled' for workshops.
Old 01-22-2003, 03:29 PM
TE Junior Member

I'd be worried about this. I never turn it on for one reason. I'm going to play Devil's advocate here and say, think there is far too much cloning and other editing happening. If the workshop was ON by default, I would be unhappy if someone took my photos, as cloned out loads of stuff, something that anyone with a photo editing tool can do, and then tried to tell me how cool they'd made my photo. I still don't agree to cloning out any more than dust and slight imperfections from scanning etc.

If the "Allow Workshop" settings are to be changed, I'd prefer the opportunity to be able to specify what types of changes may be made in the Workshop.
For example:
1 Allow lightness, contract, colour or tone curve changes only (Excludes cloning etc.)
2 Allow any kind of digital editing.

Call me old fashioned, but I believe removing annoying objects from a scene should be done before tripping the shutter.
(I know I'm going to regret posting this, but here goes.)
Old 01-22-2003, 04:24 PM
TE Expert

What about cropping? Would that be allowed? I could implement this if enough members are interested. You have a good point.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:40 PM
TE Newbie

Bayleaf - your "rules" for what types of changes you would like to be allowed happen to match exactly to what adam has specified in the TOS (which I just read for the first time).

>Only photographs are permitted. Images may not >be digitally manipulated in an image editing >program ie, Photoshop except for the following >reasons:
>Copyright notices and frames
>Cropping, resizing and sharpening
>Touching up (dust, slight imperfections)
>Levels, Curves, Color adjustment, Hue, >Saturation etc.
>Multiple exposures to get proper exposure values
>Stitching for panoramic photos
>Color conversion to Black and White, Sepia, >Duotone etc.

One solution might be for "allow workshop" to remember what a user chose for their last image.

Oh and Adam, are you going to add 'rotate' to the TOS? :-)

Cheers,
-Adam (#2)
Old 01-22-2003, 09:50 PM
TE Expert

'your "rules" for what types of changes you would like to be allowed happen to match exactly to what adam has specified in the TOS (which I just read for the first time).'

Right, but unless it's completely blatant I let it go for now.

"One solution might be for "allow workshop" to remember what a user chose for their last image."

Interesting idea. That is even easier to do.

"Oh and Adam, are you going to add 'rotate' to the TOS?"

Oh, I will add this in tonight, thanks for pointing that out!
Old 01-22-2003, 09:51 PM
TE Senior Member

I like the per-member default settings idea. I also would turn on the workshops by default.

As far as restricting goes, I think the ideas are good but I have some doubts because none of them are (automatically) enforceable. If people want to try to restrict types of workshop postings, they already have the ability to put directives into their descriptions. But if you're willing to implement it, it would be useful for some people I'm sure.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:26 AM
TE Junior Member

Good point. I'd missed that one. I'd also agree to cropping.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:54 AM
TE Newbie

I think it's a good suggestion to offer a default on or off setting, configurable on a per-member basis in the Personal Profile. However, I would argue strongly that this should not be set as a default.

As useful as the workshop feature is for many people, it involves giving permission to copy, alter and publish a copyrighted image (albiet with implied restrictions). I know that copyright violations are rampant on the internet, but I think as a matter of principle--and law--it is important to recognize and uphold fundamental principles of copyright.

It appears that most members of this site would allow workshops without reservation, but that should be something the user sets (on individual images or as a personal default), not mandated to all users.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:32 PM
TE Junior Member

Absolutely Sam. I totally agree.