Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-27-2005, 06:11 AM
TE Senior Member

Default "Display photographer name and points"

How many people have this turned off? how many of you can have it off and still identify whose photo it is? Is it good to be able to identify it with out the name under it? Does it mean that our styles are predictable? That can't be good.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:38 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: "Display photographer name and points"

Style cannot be a bad thing - how can it be when it surely means we have achieved some distinction in our world view, our aeathetic approach to subjects, etc. "Style" does NOT mean same...same. To be totally unable to recognize who does what from a glance at a thumbnail would be a tad disturbing in my view. I mean you yourself are "recognizable", my friend, as in "Hey, that'S got to be a Don Narayan pic!", same Maciej, Luko, Claude, Nygus most of all maybe.
The challenge then is to stretch the boundaries and breadth of our style, not let it go stale. Don McCullin has no style, Salgado???
Personally I feel flattered when someone says "right from the colors I knew it was you".
My 2 Yen
Old 10-28-2005, 04:18 AM
TE Senior Member

only 2 yen? what can you buy with 2 yen?

you make a good point, Francis, it is good to have a common, and certainly a pleasing approach, which is what so many good photographers here do. today, with that function turned off, I saw some photos and I knew whose they were, even though some were different from their "norm." yours was quite different! and I didn't even see it at first. But, you're right about the challenge, this is what I need to do much more of, challenging myself.

my 2 yuan, that more than 2 yen.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:00 AM
TE Expert

You know who is fascinating to watch in this respect...Maciej. I mean here'S a guy who could have continue to take incredibly lovely, moving shots of gipsy kids in India, kids on a mountain of garbage in Cambodia and get 60+ points a night!
What does he do? He hangs out in this Welsh local government club and shoots these very daring pics of drunken guys taken from the hairiest angles, heads chopped off, etc. Brilliant stuff. He is stripping off the layers to start anew but with all that deep ohotographic experience still in the background.
I dunno but that's one example...Simon does some very surprising stuff too, anytime he wants to, like that RED chair shot with beautiful music accompaniment via URL link.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:13 AM
TE Expert

Especially as the guy uploads one photo from cambodia and he gets almost 70 points, And I bet he will post 6 photos in a row from the club in Cardiff. The photos are all very good but they dont have that "TE marketability". But Maciek has such a brand name here and so many points, I think he feels that he can do his own thing and doesnt even care about the points.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:49 PM
TE Expert

My 2 roepies

The definition of "style" is something more then superficial outlooks, of course if you restrict yourself to simple popular top-hits that target only the easy sensational things that's up to you, your choice ....

Style could also be a result of concept and target with a deeper goal on long term then only a one day high-flyer with no deeper meaning.

Easy to spot out the differant approaches here, read the notes, read the critiques of a certain photographer, see what he focus by others and see his gallery on its totalarity then you know that "style" has also something to do with expressing a personal statement, like already mentionned, not every shot have to look like glass or experimented or chosen out from the 1000 shots a day, or particular compos whit subjects repushed on secundairy level to depict a deeper goal, shots can also be well targetted in a chain of a concept with a conscious determinated target.

And I see a lot of strong personalities here often not so visable not making so much fuzz, they need that, for you to find them if you look for something more in photography.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:21 PM
TE Expert

DO I have a style? Style means way to approach? Or preferred motifs?

This is easyly seen looking at all the thumbnails at a page at once...?

K.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:42 PM
TE Expert

Thanks Cesar, you are a good example of what I tried to focus out in "style" for my 2 roepies, indeed !
Old 10-28-2005, 04:19 PM
TE Expert

:D

those were my two guaranies!
currently 1 guarani is 1/6000 of a USD, so it is really cheap

K.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:41 PM
TE Expert

yes you do have a style gordo.... a BAD ONE!!!! ;P

Actually i don't see any problem of someone have an own style: about the composition, Post-production, framings, borders or even motifs.

I agree with Furachan, i like when someone write to me saying "from the thumb i now it was you".. why not?

Everyone that replied this threat have their own style... everything in life is done under a certain style... the style that we talk, walk, laugh, the hand writing bla bla bla.. why should photography be diferent?