Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great kasianowak 2018-09-06 14:10

Hi Fredrik
Beautiful combination of colours textures and tones. But... where are the palms, white sand, turquoise see? Surely, this cannot be Maldives... ;-)
Seriously... thank you for sharing this image and the interesting observations in the note. All of a sudden Maldives appeared on my travel wish-list.
It's just a pity that because of the stereotypes so few travellers know about this kind of places.
Best wishes
Kasia

Old 09-07-2018, 10:54 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To kasianowak: Travel wish-list

Hey Kasia.

It really should be on your wish-list! I have to admit I was very positively surprised by the culture. Malι is nothing but a busy city. My advice would be to spend as little time as possible there. It took me 20 minutes to walk fast from one corner of the city to the opposite. Guraidhoo was lovely, and the guest house owner even invited me to join him for dinner. He told me about the island he comes from - Mathiveri, Ari Atoll - and it seriously looked even better. I want to see more of the islands some day. He told me he wanted to open a guest house at Mathiveri someday and told me I could stay for free there.

The hard thing is getting around. There are three ways to get around in the Maldives:
* Local ferries: They're dirt cheap. For example, the direct ferries to Maafushi and Guraidhoo take two hours and cost £1,50 (30 rufiyaas). The non-direct option takes a bit longer and cost 22 rufiyaas. BUT...for most islands you need plenty of time. I went to the islands with the most frequent schedule, one daily ferry, at 7 am, except Friday. For most islands in the central part of the country, the ferries run once every second day or so, and never on Fridays.

* Speedboats: They're fast and much more frequent than the local ferries. Most central islands have daily speedboat connections to the capital. They also run on Fridays. BUT...the prices range from £25 to £80 or so, depending on the distance. So I was trying to avoid that.

* Seaplanes: They go whenever you want to, but obviously for a budget traveller, this isn't really an option.

I was lucky who could stick to the local ferries. I had a flight Saturday morning, so I figured I either had to stay two days in Malι or take a speedboat on Friday. Luckily someone told me there was also an early Saturday morning direct ferry from Guraidhoo, and it would arrive Malι just in time for me to run through the capital, reach the airport ferry and arrive the airport in time for my flight.