Copyright on pictures used for commercial purposes - Page 3 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-18-2008, 05:34 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Copyright on pictures used for commercial purposes

I think Roly 100% correct on this issue. In my opinion watermarks are pointless, disabling the right-click is pointless, worrying about your photos being stolen is pretty much pointless, and taking your photos off of Trekearth because you don’t want to loose money is ridiculous. People who steal photos are going to steal photos. The good news, like Roly points out is that it doesn’t make you any less wealthy. The fact is, real publishers will pay for your photos, and by taking your photos off of Trekearth you are loosing publicity.

Clupica wrote, “I am not willing to risk future income to be part of a social network.”
But Charlie, I think you are risking future income by not posting your photos here. Trekearth is a great way to have your photos seen by authentic publishers who are willing to pay for the use of your photos. Yes, your photos may be stolen, or used without your permission somewhere else, but what are you loosing when this happens? Money? No, because like Roly says “these people wouldn't pay you for the image anyway.”
Old 01-18-2008, 06:44 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Copyright on pictures used for commercial purposes

Okay, I'll put in a "pro's" point of view:

Stealing is stealing is stealing is stealing. No gray area here.

Having said that, there's not much you can do about it. People can steal stuff off of my commercial sites, or on TE. If I find out, and can trace the end users, then I have recourse.

However, is it really worth my time? Not always. Also, I've been lucky that nothing (that I know of) has been taken from TE.

Don't take your stuff down. There are too many examples of people being asked to sell their stuff not to leave it up. Use a watermark, but don't make it too big. It will only keep the honest peolpe honest anyway. If someone wants to steal it they will.

~Vic~