Locations-system needs improvement (Part I) - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-19-2007, 10:06 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Locations-system needs improvement (Part I)

Hi everybody,

I think there's a really big problem with the locations on TE. I'm sure other posts already exist about this subject, but I think it's an important problem and we can't let the number of errors increase every day. I'm not saying it's an easy thing to do or that one of the moderators should do something about it alone. I realize that this would be impossible. Therefore, I wonder if we couldn't do something about it together, or reinvent the location system. To give you an idea of the size of this issue, I give you a few examples. All of the following examples are from the province of Antwerp only. (Of course, this examples apply to all of the cities.)

1) Many cities are spelled wrong:
- "Boechout" and "Boeckout" both exist on TE, but only "Boechout" exists, the other one is spelled wrong.
- "Antwertpen" and "Anwerpen" both refer to "Antwerpen" (or Antwerp in English), but all exist on TE.
2) Many cities are not in the correct province (or country):
- "Brugge" shouldn't be in the province of "Antwerpen", but in the province of "West-Vlaanderen".
- "Leuven" shouldn't be in the province of "Antwerpen", but in the province of "Vlaams-Brabant".
- "Liθge" and "Verviers" both shouldn't be in the province of "Antwerpen", but in the province of "Liθge" (this province is not even located in Flanders but in Wallonia).
- "Amersfoort" is not even in Belgium! It's a city located in the province of "Utrecht" in The Netherlands!
3) Many cities exist in different languages. Names are given in French, in Flemish, in English, etc. to a same city:
- "Bruges", "Bruge" and "Brugge" should all be joined in "Brugge".
- "Anvers", "Antwerp" and "Antwerpen" should all be joined in "Antwerpen".
4) Some names aren't even city names:
- "i cant remember exactly", "in the air" and "unknown" should all be joined in "unknown".
- "Ant" should refer to "Antwerpen"
- "Planckendael" is not a city, it's the name of a zoo / animal park located in Mechelen, a city in the province of "Antwerpen".

!!! Look at next post to read 2nd part !!!
Old 08-19-2007, 10:08 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Locations-system needs improvement (Part II)

=> All this problems together result in a large list of names for each city. For example, 7 names for the city of "Antwerpen"
Old 08-19-2007, 10:09 PM
TE Junior Member

=> All this problems together result in a large list of names for each city. For example, 7 names for the city of "Antwerpen" (Antwerp in English):
"Ant", "Antwerp", "Antwerp harbour", "Antwerpen", "Antwertpen", "Anvers" and "Anwerpen".
I think everybody sees that this is nothing but confusing.

CONCLUSION: We should do something about this, beginning today, because every day it gets worse. I don't know if it would be possible for members (like me and other interested people) to cooperate with the moderators.

Things to do:
1) Decide which language we should use for the names of cities: English or the local language (e.g. "Antwerp" or "Antwerpen").
2) Invent a system for people who don't remember or aren't sure about the place where their picture was taken. (Maybe it's possible to put a checkbox which says "unknown" or "not sure" on the upload page next to the choice of cities, or something like that.)
3) Invent a new system to add a city to TE, to prevent people of writing names of locations which aren't spelled right or don't even exist.
4) ...

I'm sure that there are other people who are ready to cooperate with this, as this isn't the first post on this subject.

I'm sorry for my English, I'm trying to do the best I can :-)

Have a nice day!

Greetings from Belgium,
Thomas L.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:29 AM
TE Expert

I totaly agree with Thomas.

One of my favorite way to enjoy TE is to browse from pict to pict using the location. Bad locations remove to me one of the biggest part of the interest of an uploaded pict (and TE in general). I often ask people to change the wrong location of their pict, some of them are doing it, most of them not.

I think a solution could be a squad of "geographical moderators" who could be allowed to change the location of a pict if needed, each one would be in charge of a country or an area... I could be a part of it for Brittany, for example...

Loοc
Old 08-23-2007, 01:02 PM

A long time ago now I offered to check and correct all the counties etc for the UK but the offer was declined. I was asked just to let the moderators know of any errors I found and they would correct them. I got the impression that Adam was not keen to relinquish any control over the site. That was of course his right as he owned it. Now that it is under new ownership maybe they will be more inclined to accept such offers.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:56 PM
TE Junior Member

Thanks Loοc and Keith for your replies. I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only TE member who cares about this problem...

I could arrange the locations for Belgium (or for some region of Peru, as I lived there during a year). The only question is: is this possible? The TE-owners/moderators should give their opinion on this subject.

Anyway thanks for showing some interest ;-)

Greetings,
Thomas
Old 08-27-2007, 06:50 PM
TE Junior Member

I already made a list of all the changes which have to be made for the province of Antwerp in Belgium. There are more than 20 changes to make!

Maybe we could already decide wether we decide to use names of locations in English or in the local language? I personally think the names should be in the local language: it will avoid confusion.

Greetings,
Thomas
Old 08-27-2007, 09:46 PM
TE Expert

When you see a picture that is under the wrong city/province/country/etc name, you can click report problem and indicate the problem. That would already be a huge step forward.

regards,

Marc
Old 08-28-2007, 09:12 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm already doing this. But there should be another function to move and merge various pictures with one click. It's impossible to do this for every single picture on this site, knowing that people keep on posting pictures in the wrong locations. So first, the whole "locations-system" must be reinvented... If the way to post a picture can be changed, no more errors will be done, and we could begin with reporting all the errors.
I would be happy to see some reaction from the site-owner(s) / moderator(s).

Greetings,
Thomas
Old 08-28-2007, 09:15 AM
TE Expert

Hi Thomas,

perhaps could you mail adam to tell him about this thread in the forum?

Loοc