Nikon D70 or Canon Eos 10D - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-21-2004, 03:15 AM
TE Newbie

Default Nikon D70 or Canon Eos 10D

I am 17 and have been into photograhpy for a little over 5 months now. As of now I use a Minolta X700 but it is too much to keep developing rolls and I can't find photograhpy coarses with an open darkroom. I decided to go digital and was wondering what would be the best choice for me, either the Nikon D70 or Canon EOS 10D. I am into shooting skateboarding and also city life and waterlife. I also wanted to know what lenses and filters might suit me best, because whenever I research the subject I get too confused with all the choices.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2004, 07:02 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Nikon D70 or Canon Eos 10D

Hello Sean,

You'll soon find out that TE is a wonderful community sharing different visions on the World, but that forum debates and threads about photography equipment are rather rare.

Allow me to suggest you www.dpreview.com as THE site where you'll find an extensive answer to your question. You may want to read the different threads going on there on the Nikon D70 and Canon 10D specific forums.

Hope you'll find an answer to your question.
Cheers
Old 09-21-2004, 10:56 AM
TE Senior Member

You really can't go wrong with either camera. Between the two bodies, I have a preference for the Nikon, but as a complete system (lenses, flashes, etc) I think Canon is difficult to beat. To really do skateboarding is kind of a specialized thing. Most who shoot it are using fisheye lenses, which are not necessarily great for many other things (although I love mine) or they are using ultra wide angle lenses. Again for skateboarding, most are using external flashes as well. All this being said, you can do very well with either camera and in your case probably a wide-medium zoom like the kit lens that comes with the Nikon. As you get more and more comfortable with your own style and needs, you can then spend the big bucks on the fisheyes, flashes, ultrawides, etc. Start simple and buy when needed rather than spenind a bunch of money on something you might find you don't use much.

Gal's suggestion to check out dpreview.com is a good one, although remember you are stepping into an area where feelings get pretty rabid from the usres there.

Many will tell you that you must get a bunch of filters, but that again is something you will have to decide for yourself. Personally, I can't remember the last time I mounted a filter to one of my lenses. Again, start simple, learn your equipment and what you need and only then do I recommend spending more, especially as accessories can really add up (my bank account is living testimony to that).
Old 09-21-2004, 06:29 PM
TE Newbie

Hello Hayes,

I own a Canon 10-D. I am just writing to tell you I am very satisfied and happy with my choise of Camera. I think if you choose the Canon you won't be disapointed, but still it is possible you won't either with the Nikon D70. Both good Cameras.

I think you wouldn't need to buy filters if you choose the Canon. At least not at the start. It is always fun and interesting to play with the white balance and the Kelvin heating feature. I sometimes try to find the difference by using higher and lower K than the standard.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:13 PM
TE Junior Member

Any DSLR you go with is bound to please you. Keep in mind that Minolta will be releasing a DLSR "soon" but also take a peek at the Pentax *ist D and Pentax *ist DS. They are the smallest DSLRs, can use standard batteries and give great results too.

The Kodak DLSRs have come down in price too that use Canon and Nikon lenses. They give 12 Megapixels and go for about £2000 if you have the budget.

I don't know about the Minolta one or the FujiFilms, but I think you'll be very pleased with any of the Kodak, Pentax, Canon and Nikon bodies.