Does TrekEarth only show the nice sides of these world...!? - Page 4 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-22-2006, 03:13 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Does TrekEarth only show the nice sides...!?

20 is not 10. By 20 we should have proper social skills and manners.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:44 PM
TE Newbie

Couldnt agree with you more Rafal, this discussion should never have taken place in the first place. I dont think one can this kinda trash around on TE.
Sunil
Old 08-22-2006, 04:24 PM
TE Junior Member

I came across this thread and had a read. I also looked at the photo. As a photo, on technical and content, it didn't do much for me, so I didn't comment. Poverty is everywhere. Look at any city, anywhere, and you'll find poor people, homeless people, people begging for money or begging for food.

I think all the initial comments were accurate. Just because someone looks at a picture doesn't mean they should or will comment. Some of my photos, while I think they're good, may get hundreds of people viewing and few or no comments/critiques. It doesn't bother me at all. To me, it's more important that people actually looked.

Insulting people will get you no where, no matter what age you are. By 20, you should have some maturity. Name calling is childish and immature.

The photo does show something sad. Granted. But please, get over it.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:50 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Does TrekEarth only show the nice sides of these world..

Hi Andreas,
I haven't received any comment from you for this photo: http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Portugal/photo305644.htm

Are you a coward?

As you see, there's lots of messages into a "poor and sad moment". All this introduction to say that I don't think you are a coward at all... but there are inumerous reasons for not having comments on your photo.

As for me and about your photo:

It's the first time i ever see the photo, and believe me... i've just saw it because of the forum... i can't see 10% of the photos posted everyday.

I live in Portugal, and as you know, Portugal is a poor country, i see scenes like this i see everyday(unfornutatly)

I don't think it's a good photo, not just techically but in what should be it's message. It don't bring me any deep message, imagine fotojournalism... it doesn't need just to show... it need to touch.

In Portugal ther are kids "trained" for this... this one seems quite well feed to be honest. Also it looks like you used the zoom, it lacks proximity with the boy...
Old 08-22-2006, 06:22 PM
TE Expert

The kid looks well fed and nicely dressed (filthy like hell, true) but nicely.
Did your son speak to his parents? Maybe the little fella has stomach problems caused by overeating? It happened to my kids constantly. They cried too, if they ate too much sweeties.
THE PARENTS ARE THE ONLY PEOPLE IN THE WHOLE WORLD RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR KIDS.
Not western imperialists. Not colonialists. Not radical islamists. Not communists. Not neo-fascists. Not international bourgeois. Not skin heads. Not capitalists. Not Zionists. Not church. Not mass media. Not photographers. Not members of TE.
T H E P A R E N T S !!!!

Did your son Frank, buy him a sandwich?
Did he take his hand and ask simply : Where are your parents, kid". Did he, Frank ???

And yes…The TE members are sensitive. I could only wish them to be more realistic than good at heart as they are. But what the heck. I'm one of them.
----------------------------------
The picture itself?
Pretty lousy.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:24 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Does TrekEarth only show the nice sides of these world..

Hi, Andreas

Jinju mentionned Maciekda, but just to stick to Central America, research MarkGong's pictures here, and on Pbase.com. He took time for 2 weeks to go to Nicaragua, filming exploited workers, came back with pictures that did not "sell" too well (i do not mean he wanted to sell them), because there is an intense competition, literally thousands of photographs who have professional credentials, and focus mainly on the ills of the world, which includes in no small amount hungry kids, and Mark knew by then you have to scale the profession's ladders to have your voice heard.... With luck!

Anyone interested in photography sees their work, can be touched by it, and learn from it. Of course, many of those interested are here on TE, home to people passionated with the medium. You have to relativize the posting of one portrait shot on your part, and the little reaction to it. This whole thread has brought attention only to you and your father. You calling people cowards and offuscation took away your intention to have us zero in on the fate of that kid. Instead, you became the thread subject. Reflect on that.

H
Old 08-22-2006, 08:24 PM
TE Expert

Yes Rafal. It is OK! Any time. Straight in their faces.
If they're cowards!!
ARE THEY???
What this lousy photo with over fed kid, with nice yet filthy clotes, has anything to do with cowardness of TE' members, beats me?
george
Old 08-22-2006, 09:15 PM
TE Expert

Have you, Mark?
Oh please, tell us the truth! Once and forever.
Even though we're cowards, we can handle the truth.

Have you??
g.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:20 PM
TE Expert

(To roamermark)

Have you, Mark?
Oh please, tell us the truth! Once and forever.
Even though we're cowards, we can handle the truth.

Have you ever been 20 years old??
g.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:47 PM
TE Expert

To Sunil
------------------
Trash??
Where exactly Sunil, you found the trash in our discussion?
Or better yet: WHO exactly talks trash?
You know, we can point that guy to administration and punish him severely.
Right, Sunil?
We can do it to the BAD guys in our community. We’re not cowards, are we?
So, WHO is talking trash (besides me, but of course!)?
Who?