Lens or situation?? - Page 2 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-17-2007, 08:20 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Lens or situation??

I soon realized the Tamrac velocity (slingshot type) 8 wasn't as big as I thought, but I made do by calibrating the gear to the outing planned. Often, if I know I will just hang around, no special plans but street photo-shooting, the 24-105L is all I need, I might even put the camera around the neck and leave the bag home. For planned visits in places I may not visit again, I go 17-40, 70-300, and a luminous prime (for me, Sigma 30mm) for interiors. Yes, I found myself leaving the 24-105 in the room. Though if I know the place I am going to, can visit it again easily, I take the 24-105 over the 70-300, which is often for tele details that will not move a lot or suffer from different lighting another day.
For events, like parades, festivals, stage shows, 17-40 stays home, and I take 24-105 and 70-300. Evenings are strictly primes, because these are the only ones I have with enough light coming in (30mm, 50mm, 135mm if shooting a stage/dinner show)and they fit well in the bag.

I love the idea of one body and 2 primes, with a 70-200 f/2.8 for very special photo-shoots. Still have not muttered the courage to drop the zooms altogether. And i mean courage, fearlessness rather. therein lies the difference between taking picturers and consistent photographers, deserving of the best accolades. At least, in the categories I shoot (people, street).
Old 05-18-2007, 04:02 AM
TE Expert

This is almost touching on the pernnial Zooms vs Primes question, Shelly.
This Nat Geo photog, David Allen Harvey, who is also a Magnum member recently joined one of these threads and repeated his advice to travel light (by that he means one prime! in his case the Nikon 20mm f2.8) Now I admire this guy a lot and he's a terrific photographer but here's the catch - unless you have two months to meander aorund a poace Nat Geo style, if all you have is one week in Vietnam for example, you may find that primes limit you. Even goinmg through a market an 18-70 zoom will come in very handy where just the 20mm would frustrate you no end. My little brother (nickname) Shailendra here in Tokyo has taken to walking around with just the 20mm (equal to 30mm in 35mm terms) and it forces him to shove the lens literally into people's faces as he shoots - a daring but also...awkward technique to say the least.
WHat I did recently is carry a small bag with one zoom, say the 18-70 and a 50 f1.4 for portraits with bokeh. Light and practical.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:40 AM
TE Expert

David Allen Harvey...
-------------

I found that link, Francis. what a swell guy he sounds like. Funnily, I just got his 2 books from Cuba in the mail yesterday (from amazing Amazon, not even 30$ for the 2, with shipping), I am discovering him as of this minute, so to speak. I loved your first posts there too.... :-))))

One thing I learnt last trip, zoom, prime, whatever, but if you ain't got f/2.8, you're bound to miss it in a lot of situations and I did, being only f/4 with my zooms. I can only think that stealthy photographers like Harvey and the likes, thrive on that extra speed and/or tight DOF.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:42 PM
TE Senior Member

For years all I used (or owned) was a 50mm f1.8 prime. It handled 99% of everything I wanted to photograph just fine, and today if I was to restrict myself to one camera/one lens, this is the one I would take ( for film anyway, for digital I'd take the 35mm).
My approach is still to take the bare minimum and travel light. I've got quite a few lenses, but if I ever tried to carry them all at once I don't think I'd have much energy left for photography!
Old 05-19-2007, 08:09 PM
TE Senior Member

From the mid '60s to early '80s I took a number of long trips (Mexico, Canada, lots of the US, India, France) with only a 50mm lens. When I look at those pictures it shows.

There's the cathedral that I got most of (couldn't back up enough).

And there's the camel pulling a cart that you can tell is a camel if I point it out (couldn't get close enough).

Now I try to figure out how to travel with the widest focal length range possible while carrying the lightest possible load.

The Canon 28mm f2.8 weighs 6.6 oz.

The Tamron 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 weighs 15.2 oz.

Not a lot of weight difference for a tremendous amount of range.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:55 PM
TE Expert

I totally agree with carrying the widest focal length range possible without getting a broken back. I'm using the 18-200 VR and in the future I'll probably add a 11-22mm and a 500D close-up filter of Canon to mount in front of the lense.
That gives a close-up effect on the 200mm and a macro feel at the lower range.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:17 AM
TE Newbie

I prefer to travel light with just my D70 & 35mm lens. I would rather not have to worry about carting around a lot of expensive lenses and the 35mm lens is cheap, about the same cost of a kit zoom but half the size and weight.