New site goes live May 20th - Page 3 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Banned

Default Re: New site goes live May 20th

Yep ! The more I look at it, the less I like it...sorry for putting my thoughts in different pieces, but it's so slow, that it made me loose my first input.

1) Like Deniz I think that the way the photographs are displayed is horrendous, with the vertical ones much larger, and sometimes leaving empty spaces inbetween two formats...it's everything, but not even a tiny bit "elegant" or simply pleasing to the eyes. Imagine that in a real gallery....Certainly not "professional" looking, although I acknowledge that's not the first aim of the site :))).

2) Why are the titles of the photographs not displayed anymore ? One single reason for that ?

3) When you finally to to a photograph, and want to see if there is a thread going on, you have to open each single response, without seeing the first few words, to give a hint, like before....

4) Advertisement too obvious...Yes, sleek, and messy at the same time :).

5) Comments received: the full name of photographer. On display : the nickname.
Why not keep the nicknames, far easier, for all displays ?

Michθle
Old 05-20-2009, 06:16 PM
TE Senior Member

SIMPLY HORRIFIC, I GOT NO WORDS FOR IT!
This is ONE BIG AD, it's got nothing to do with photography... WHAT AN INCREDIBLE MESS!
Old 05-20-2009, 06:16 PM
TE Newbie

The update might not be fully effective, the logo (top left) has just appeared. It is really nice.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:21 PM
TE Senior Member

thanks but i still don't find the favorite list
i mean : not the list of favorites but the latest posts of the favorites
(quite disturbing to change habits, LOL)
Old 05-20-2009, 08:31 PM
TE Senior Member

Thank you Justine,

I just read Hillary has an IQ of 135, I can get hotel offers in Cesu and Campervans in Australia (not to be confused with Autria).

Trekearth; learning about the world through photography and advertising.
If you have time.

regards,
David
Old 05-20-2009, 10:30 PM
TE Junior Member

hi
Can I get the old version? this beige is terrible..sorry
Old 05-21-2009, 07:02 AM
TE Expert

The link to the old site has been posted many times now, as a lot of people were so discontented with the new one.
It's: http://beta.trekearth.com/
bconver, the new director has told us they will let us use the old site as long as possible. If they do disactivate it one day, I hope their new site will have become perfect!
In the meantime, it would be a good idea to give our ideas for improvement, just for the time when they put a stop to the old site.
however, I will note them down for a while, and post them later, as they seem to be submerged by correspondence just now!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:21 AM
TE Expert

When I woke up this morning, I really hoped it was all a bad dream I had and TE was still the old TE I knew. But unfortunately, the nightmare was actually reality and we're still stuck in this new mess called 'development'....

Dennis
Old 05-21-2009, 08:22 AM
TE Expert

About the old site that you can still access in http://beta.trekearth.com/

The gallery doesn't work anymore at the moment... http://beta.trekearth.com/gallery/
Old 05-21-2009, 12:23 PM
TE Expert

To Dpbours and especially the administrators!
For me, the change-over from the old site to the new site happened yesterday (20th) while I was having dinner! I had known nothing about it before, as I don't often visit the forums!
I was certainly very disappointed because I really liked the old site!
Now, reading about all the uproar, I have been thinking a lot about it! Honestly, why change something that works well?
Why not just change what didn't work well? Like the lack of communication from the administrators. They would have been better communicating more with the members than wasting time ceating such an unneccesary upheaval!
I have been on TE for 2 years and 9 months now; visiting Google and Wikipedia for about 7 years; and I think I can say that it's because they keep the same outlook that they are so popular and successful. If people need to use them, they know they'll find what they want quickly and easily!
It's not the look of the site that counts, it's the content and the practical side! Between you and me, there was nothing wrong with the look of the old site!
Some people like the brown colour of the new site! Quite honestly, brown is not my favourite colour, and it's not the most cheerful either!
As I have read other people write , the maps of countries visited was a lot clearer on the old site! On my map, I can hardly distinguish Greece!....
Is it too much to hope that they will do away with this new site lark?