Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-21-2008, 06:01 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Compact cameras

Sorry if this one has been done before. I want to buy a new compact, my Canon 750 is starting to get worn out after taking something like 10,0000 pictures. Does anyone have any advice of what NOT to buy?.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:20 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Compact cameras

You should better ask: what to buy???? and tell us about your budget!!!!
Regards,Leo
Old 11-21-2008, 08:53 PM
TE Junior Member

Leo,
Thanks.
What to buy?, but I was also interested if anyone had any bad experiences with cameras. As to the budget?, say € 250.
Mike
Old 11-22-2008, 07:45 AM

No specific advice apart from looking at www.dpreview.com once you've created a shortlist of possibles. I think your original question is absolutely the correct one as, although nobody can say what will suit your needs, knowledge of any absolute dogs to exclude could make your search a little simpler.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:54 AM
TE Junior Member

Keith,
Thanks, I will take a look. Most compact seem to take very good pictures, my Canon does though it has suffered from dust getting inside and is now giving some spots on light areas of pictures which have to be electronically brushed out.
I don't really want the camera to be able to recognise smiles and blinks, Good quality sharp pictures with natural colour and a well made camera is all I ask for.
Mike
Old 11-22-2008, 10:47 AM

We have a Canon Powershot A720IS as a backup and it does a decent enough job. It was bought for its functionality not for any fancy, but never to be used features which it may have. You're already a Canon user so will know about the build quality anyway.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:44 PM
TE Junior Member

Keith,
thanks, I looked at that web site, i will keep an eye on it and see what they review. I don't need it for three months so i will wait to see how prices go, I have a feeling that after christmas they may drop a fair bit.
Mike .
Old 11-23-2008, 01:53 AM

I don't think any of the major manufacturers has any particularly bad models; there are some which are better than others, but that's really about it.

I'd tend to avoid the smaller names in general, as they can be a little more hit and miss. As a rule of thumb I'd tend to stick with brands that have their own forum on DPReview ;)

My first choice compact for a long time was the Fujifilm F31fd; it's a great little camera, with excellent image quality. Unfortunately Fuji did a Fuji, and discontinued it :/ The subsequent F-series models are still pretty good though.

If you want something a bit bigger, the Canon G10 seems nice!
Old 11-23-2008, 01:34 PM
TE Junior Member

Adrian,
Thanks,
The problem with reading reviews is that, I suspect, they are super critical and it makes you think twice. I think you are right most cameras these day produce good pictures. I will look at DP review over the next couple of months.I will look at Fuji, Panasonic is another make I am looking at.
Mike