Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-28-2007, 09:23 PM
TE Expert

Default TrekEarth has a New Owner

TrekEarth, along with TrekLens and TrekNature now has a new owner, Internet Brands, the owners of WikiTravel and various other sites.

I will still be running the site as usual. Now there will be more resources available to develop the site, add new features, faster hardware, although the focus on learning about the world through photography will remain the same.

I'm sure there will be questions/concerns about this so please let us know. Thank you.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:27 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: TrekEarth has a New Owner

Hi Adam,
Let's hope it will remain the same... or better!
Thanks for everything anyway
Laurent
Old 06-28-2007, 09:38 PM
TE Junior Member

I have a general question and then some specific questions. First of all, how is this going to change the site for regular TE members?

Are there any plans to charge a fee to use the site?
What will happen to photos that we post to TE? Will they now start showing up on other sites owned by the same company? If so, will TE members be able to control where their photos are used?
Old 06-28-2007, 09:38 PM
TE Expert

Wikitravel seems a nice marriage, enlarging support will be available offered by their know-how. Will we expect a new facelift (layout,...) soon too ?
Old 06-28-2007, 10:07 PM
TE Expert

Hi Adam,

is there any relation with my post lack of wholesome competition, I mean this could be on option for the future?

Thanks and Regards,
Carlos
Old 06-28-2007, 11:40 PM
TE Newbie

Greetings, all. My name is John and I'm the general mgr. of the travel division of Internet Brands. We love these sites and are thrilled at the opportunity to work with Adam on them. The consistency of quality in the photos posted here is amazing. I've posted a few of my better photos, but I must admit I pale in comparison to the talent of many of the contributors on these sites.

To give you some background on Internet Brands, we operate a couple dozen web sites grouped in three divisions...cars, home and travel. Our travel sites aren't ones where you book trips. Instead they provide people with various aspects of information related to travel, both for planning trips and just to learn more about distant parts of the world. The three Trek sites including TrekNature and TrekLens fit very nicely with our other sites.

Our other travel sites include two wiki-based travel guides, Wikitravel.org and World66.com, a variety of alternative lodging directories (B&Bs, timeshare and vacation rentals), two cruise sites, and more. Many of our sites are community-based, including both wiki communities and forums such as FlyerTalk.com.

In terms of going forward, we don't have plans for big changes to the sites. We really like the way they are run by Adam and the other moderators. Adam used to work on the sites part-time but has now joined us to work full-time on these sites. Our experience with other online communities has taught us that each one has its own personality which needs to be respected. We want to avoid any sort of radical changes which could disappoint the current users of these three sites.

That said, we do hope to add value to the sites going forward. We have provided significantly upgraded computer servers from which to run the sites, and we'll have all three sites switched over to these new machines by end-of-day tomorrow. Hopefully you'll notice and enjoy the faster speed at which the sites will be delivered. We have a team of people who will also be able to contribute in terms of design, software enhancements and other such back-end improvements. We don't have plans for any big changes to how the sites make money, either in terms of the advertising currently displayed or charges to users. To give you an example of how we avoid being too aggressive in making money from our sites, we have owned Wikitravel for between one and two years, and we still have no revenue being generated from that site.

If you have any questions, we'll be happy to answer them as best we can. Ryan on our team here will be regularly on the three sites, and together the two of us will give you any information you might find of interest regarding Internet Brands and our acquisition of these sites.

-- John
Old 06-29-2007, 12:00 AM
TE Expert

Hi,
In such an important moment, I want to thank Adam for this crazy and addictive site.
And I wish you all the best with Trekearth and hope you'll find pertinent synergies with the other sites you rule.
Stιphane
Old 06-29-2007, 12:11 AM
TE Senior Member

Thanks a lot Adam,
You did and are doing a great job! Hope this dream of yours will only change for the better!

And as we usually welcome to the newcomers: welcome to TE - WikiTravel and Internet Brands - hope you'll have a pleasant and rewarding stay here - while we'll be all "learning about the world through photography" together!

dora
Old 06-29-2007, 12:23 AM
TE Newbie

Hello everyone. This is Ryan, the Ryan that John from Internet Brands referenced in his post above. I'll be taking a more active part in the Trek websites, and I wanted to make myself available to you all in case there were any issues or concerns that you wished to address.

There's not much I can add to what John said. We don't have any big plans for changes to the sites, as they seem to run just fine as they are. Our philosophy has pretty much been "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" and that will probably be our approach for TrekEarth and the other sites.

That said, if you would like to discuss anything with me personally, you may email me at rfujitani@internetbrands.com. I'll be happy to hear from any of you.

Ryan from Internet Brands
Old 06-29-2007, 12:23 AM
TE Newbie

Internet Brands will be fully respectful of photographers' copyright to their photos. We want photographers to have full trust that posting photos on TrekEarth won't in any way jeapordize their copyright.