Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-12-2007, 02:48 AM
TE Expert

Default To: Gisi (Mondaychild)

Hi Gisi;

I'm a bit confused... on another thread you stated;

"Photos of the 1)photographer΄s baby, puppy, girlfriend; 2)photos of blurred dashbords, I think it΄s good to remove these photos because for 1) there are loads of other sites to post photos of your near and dear ones, and for 2) a photo where you can hardly see what΄s displayed is no photo IMO."

Yet in this thread on the same day you seem to have a totally different opinion. The image of the cat (which I saw) was a domestic housecat standing at the doorway of their home, and the note was describing how they could not get their pet into the house without some sort of treat (food). I don't see how the image could me misconstrued as anything but a family pet shot.

- Dan
Old 06-12-2007, 02:56 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To: Gisi (Mondaychild)

Further to this, I had already cut and was about to paste the matter below:

[ quoting Gisi here: ]
""I once wrote a critique to a photo - I think it was called "Secret Window" (it didn΄t look like a window at all - just some red and green points). I wrote that I think this photo wouldn΄t fit the aim of this site - and the photographer replied that my critique annoyed her.""

It seems clear that when you want to you actually understand ""the aim of this site""

So please do not apply it selectively to some situations... PETS, be they CATS, DOGS, GOLDFISH do not fit the aim of TrekEARTH.

BASS BASS BASS...
Old 06-12-2007, 08:49 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: WHY WHY WHY??

Oh Good, this theme is still running. I love trivial debates. They are so much more enjoyable that, say, the war on Iraq or Global warming. The move trivial, the better and you can't get more trivial than cats, can you? I am glad Gisi (Mondaychild) has been outed as a covert cat lover, with her own theme on cats she has known. So, she would probably object to the removal of any picture of a cat. But for me, I prefer to take positive view. If the picture doesn't illustrate something about the life or culture of a certain people, then it should not be posted, just as the guidelines say. However, for the really perverse and inventive - neither of which epithets I am I leveling at Gisi - it is always possible to invent a story to give spurious relevance. For example, the cat in question. It was an ordinary cat, sitting outside an ordinary door. But what if the photographer had added a note that said something like " This is a typical Minnesota cat, many people in Minnesota have cats like this. They are part of the Minnesota way of life." I guess that it would not have been deleted. Oh course, it should have been deleted but, like certain other cats, it would have managed to avoided that clause in the rules. Oh! Please keep this discussion of cats going. It is so enjoyable.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:20 AM
TE Junior Member

Doggone it Kevin as a doglover I feel that this whole debate has been completely onesided! When will my canine friends get a fair shake? All that fawning over feline pets is getting my goat < NOT A PET (yet)! >! Did I mention the Canuck Pet Oysters? Yes, I too have a pair of boots size 12! And I could take a photo of my boot with my pet-pussy! As they say here: "Fill yer boots!"... Living with a lotta Newfs do I smell a wee Irish? Then follow me Kevin, for I'm right behind ya!

Btw My Viking ancestors will turn in their graves at the mere suggestion that Minnesota has turned into a State of Pussy-Lovers! Doggone it! WE thought that State had gone to the dogs! What with Global Warming, and the Reserves being in Eyewrack and all!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:33 AM
TE Junior Member

Maybe this is a cat worth photographing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/south_west/6741167.stm
Old 06-12-2007, 12:25 PM
TE Senior Member

Although I'm not a fan of cat or dog or other pet shots here on TrekEarth (mind you, I have a cat myself) there is a difference between not permitted and highly discouraged. As can be seen from the ToS :

*Photographs of family, friends, or pets (not only one's own) are highly discouraged and MAY BE removed with notice.

*Studio (or studio-like) photographs are discouraged and MAY BE removed with notice.

*False color infrared photographs are not permitted.

Interesting part of this discussion is, that nobody makes a problem of infrared photo's while these are the photo's that are NOT PERMITTED while the others are DISCOURAGED and MAY BE removed.
See the difference? :-)

Anyhow, to me there are quite a few photo's on TE that should not belong here. Ocassionaly I report them via the 'Report Problem' option, when it is clear the photo is against the ToS.

Lot's of those Turkish cats photo's for instance..I think don't belong here..but hey, I'm too lazy now to report them all..
Old 06-12-2007, 02:12 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To: Gisi (Mondaychild)

Hi Dan,

no, this shot was no usual "pet" shot.

A pet shot (BAD THING) is a photo of a cat (puppy etc) without note or with the note "That΄s my cat", "My sweet darling Fluffy" etc.)

But a photo of a cat isn΄t always one of these usual pet shots, e.g.
- if νt tells about a certain behavior of this species
- if it tells how poor street cats in Greece, Turkey etc. are
- if it΄s a photo of a house or a lane and a cat is sitting there

Furthermore it΄s no bad thing if somebody posts a photo of some old ladies who take their poodle for a walk - because this tells us that old ladies in certain countries like to have little doggies.

I don΄t like the usual pet photos, these "how sweet" photos. But not every photo showing a cat or a dog is a pet photo.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:15 PM
TE Junior Member

Default It depends on the situation

Hi Jay,

please have a look at what I answered Dan ^ !

It really depends on the situation - you can΄t say every photo which is showing a cat is a pet photo which should be deleted.

There are many pet photos which tell us nothing else than this is the member΄s pet, I agree. But there are also quite a view photos telling more.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:21 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Even you ...

... posted a photo of a cat "Feral Fur Ball". But your photo has a story, a message behind it. These are the photos I would accept on TrekEarth, EVEN THOUGH they contain cats! Do you know now what I want to say?
Old 06-12-2007, 02:40 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Turkish cat photos

photo of MY cat = BAD (even it has an important message of common interest)
photo of A cat (e.g. in the streets) = GOOD

photo of MY child = BAD
photo of A child (Indian, Thai,...) = SWEET (even if there isn΄t a note at all)

As I already said - don΄t get me wrong. There are enough sites to post photos of
MY cat, MY mum, MY husband, MY girlfriend, MY birthday cake, MY titties etc. It΄s good these photos are discouraged here.

But what do you personally think about a photo from Greece (I know you like Greece) showing an idyllic narrow lane on a small island with two cats sitting on the doorsteps? Would you take this photo? Would you post it here? If so, what kind of note would you write?

Would you post photos with the note "Greece seems to have more street cats than humans ... or even than islands?" ... This would tell people from other countries an interesting fact about Greece ...