Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-31-2006, 03:08 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: The Critique Conspiracy

I guess once you reach a certain number of points you can post anything and still get about 30 points for it. I've tried to increase my # of critiques now, although I don't always have the time to post that many and sometimes I just like to browse through the galleries. It does make you question the purpose of this site a bit if you don't receive any critiques (or even comments) for a picture which you think turned out well. OK, maybe it didn't but then some helpful tips would be nice.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:12 PM
TE Junior Member

Personally, I always check out the most recent photos from my country (Ireland). When I like the image, I post a critique. Some images I don't exactly like and will post a comment or advice.

After that, I'd browse through the gallery and pick photos that capture my attention.

I have days where I critique 15-20 photos, and then there are days I do less. It depends on how much free time I have.

It does seem that people reach a certain point and then get lots of points no matter how good their photo is.

Mostly though, I post photos here because I like the photo, and I think it shows something of the place the image was taken. The points/critiques are more than welcome, but I know that I have learned a lot from posting here.

Just my view.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:19 PM

Bonjour Harjit,

Conspiracy?
I'm a member for more 3 & half years. I try to help as often as I can. I think deeply about pictures before I write a critique or comment, not just "Wow!" or "Great shot!".
I had to look at TE without been logged in as my pointsystem is off but it appears that I wrote more than 5100 critiques and got about 2800 points...
Conspiracy?

Just like I said to Linda:
Don't be upset, keep sending your images, try to look at other's photos, give comments, read critiques, and you'll soon be noticed...
And... JUST ENJOY! :o)))

Amicalement - Viviane
Old 08-31-2006, 03:36 PM
TE Expert

I agree.
There's three kinds of people that receive more critiques than they give:
- Those that give no or very little critique.
- Those that upload absolutely outstanding shots day in day out.
- Really long established members that over 100 members have marked as favourite, and provide excellent photos.

The rest of us just have to live with it. Sometimes it's hard to accept being average, but most of us are.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:46 PM
TE Junior Member

Thanks for agreeing and for the encouragement.
I too enjoy the site very much but I could do without the politics on TE. Despite what people say, there definately is a "who knows who" situation on TE.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:01 PM
TE Senior Member

There certainly seemed to be a clique in the earlier days of TE, who would give glowing critiques which appeared to me to relate more to the photographer than the quality of the work. I have seen little evidence of that recently.

Exactly the opposite of my impressions. I think back to the original days of this site, where the membership was quite limited and close knit. It was not at all unusual to see even some quite good photos with multiple yellow faces. Nowadays, I rarely see yellows and I have seen plenty of photos which garner a lot of critiques where very obvious flaws are simply never mentioned. Sites like this will always generate an overabundance of praise relative to harsh criticism, but my impression is that at one point the active members on TE took a real pleasure in being quite critical. Now,I think members are really good at finding what they like in a photo; this certainly has value too, just that negatives are somewhat overlooked.

My impression is also that negative critiques were better handled back then. Nowadays, when critiques mention a flaw in a photo, all too often the photographer either replies with an excuse as to why the flaw couldn't be avoided or a rationalization as to why it is not a flaw. Before, it seemed more that members would take their lumps, be thankful for the critique and move on.

I think there is a sort of justice in the fact that the most active members in giving out critiques tend to get the most in return. Giving a critique is a positive action in this site; it is offering something to someone else. I see no reason why those who give the most get the most in return. Generally, people are getting out of the site what they put into it; seems pretty democratic to me. Doesn't mean you can judge the quality of a photo by its points, but generally you can get a feeling for the level of participation of the photographer.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:04 PM
TE Senior Member

"There's three kinds of people that receive more critiques than they give:"
Hi Kari, actually you've received more points than the no. of critiques you gave - a good sign? :)

My view is that the more you critique, the better you become. Even though the ones you've critiqued didn't "return the favor" or give you "points", you've already learnt something by looking at other people's work. (and may discover how to improve your own pics.)

It seems to me that it's sometimes more beneficial (to my photog.) to critique other people's works than to look at the critiques I've received.

"there definitely is a "who knows who" situation on TE."
That's absolutely true. :) Despite of this, I believe that the best pictures won't be left out...
Old 08-31-2006, 05:07 PM
TE Senior Member

Sure there is, and as I posted earlier, why shouldn't there be? If there is a member who is posting a lot of critiques, why shouldn't that member get more in return? If you take efforts to write letters (or emails) to friends in order to keep in contact, wouldn't you expect more mail in return? Why should people who contribute little in way of the currency of any critique site get a lot of that currency in return? Really good photos will get noticed, no matter who shoots them, but an active member will always get noticed more. I don't consider this politics so much as normal social interaction.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:15 PM
TE Senior Member

I agree with everything you have said here. Most importantly I agree that the more you critique, the better you become. I think that anyone who really thinks about what he/she is writing can't help but become a better photographer. I have learned more in writing critiques than in receiving them by a large margin. Not that there is nothing to be learned in getting critiques, of course.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:41 PM

"There certainly seemed to be a clique in the earlier days of TE, who would give glowing critiques which appeared to me to relate more to the photographer than the quality of the work. I have seen little evidence of that recently."

"Exactly the opposite of my impressions. I think back to the original days of this site, where the membership was quite limited and close knit. It was not at all unusual to see even some quite good photos with multiple yellow faces. Nowadays, I rarely see yellows and I have seen plenty of photos which garner a lot of critiques where very obvious flaws are simply never mentioned."

After reading Darren's comments I realised that my original statement required some clarification. I didn't mean to imply that the site was full of cliques in the earlier days i.e. a couple of years ago, but it was apparent that there was a small group of members who always critiqued each other's work and always in glowing terms.
I certainly agree that there seem to be fewer critiques with yellow smilies now, and there are definitely a huge number of 'Well done' and 'Good shot' responses.