Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-11-2007, 03:31 PM
TE Junior Member

Default A Week in Greece

Hello,
Travelling to Greece for a week - any recommendations of what not to miss?
Also we would like to rent a car and drive around from Athens, would that be safe for two women and would it be possible to reach interesting destinations and to return back the same day?
Any recommendations are very welcome.
Thank you!
Old 11-14-2007, 09:24 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: A Week in Greece

Hello Irina,
Don't be afraid: Greece is very safe and the people are generally friendly. But Athens is a very big city of 5 millions inhabitants (half of Greece) and it is not easy to drive in the city. (The drivers there are sometimes wild...) Is it necessary for you to stay every night in Athens? It could be beter if you can make a trip, for example to Peloponese. Last week, I took the KTEL bus from Athens to Nafplio and I rent a car from Nafplio for 2 days.
If you stay in Athens, don't miss Filopapou hill at sunset, with a beautiful view on Acropolis, it's magic. You can make a day trip to Aegina, a beautiful island, with a boat from Pireas harbour. You can also make a day trip to Sounio.
Have a nice trip,
Catherine
Old 11-15-2007, 02:09 AM
TE Junior Member

Thank you very much, Catherine, for your very useful advice!
No, it is not necessary for us to stay every night in Athens, I just wonder if it is easy to get a hotel room in case we get to another place.
Irina
Old 11-15-2007, 04:55 PM
TE Junior Member

Yes, it is very easy at this season. If you go on small touristic places near the sea for example, you can get a nice room for 2 for 40 to 50 EUR (about 30-40 USD). It is because they are many empty rooms in winter. In Mili, we paid 45 EUR for a nice room (with central eating) with a view on the sea. You can find also cheap rooms in Astros (Paralia Astros, near the sea) and on other places. From there, with a car, you can visit the nice region of Argolis very rich in historical sites (Nafplio, Argos, Mykines, Epidavros...) I whish you a very good trip and beautiful pictures!
Catherine
Old 11-19-2007, 04:14 AM
TE Junior Member

Thank you very much, Catherine, I will try!