Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-09-2007, 08:14 AM
TE Expert

Default about safe tours

Hi friends!
Can you help me advising or telling what do you think about travelling in places unsafe.
Let me tell you: I studyied, prepared and almost booked a tour in Indonesia: Bali, Sulawesi, Flores, and I was happy to go in such beautiful places; my Lonely planet writes also that people is extraordinary friendly.
But two weeks ago Euopean Union Commission wrote that Indonesian Plan companies are unsafe, they must not land in Europe and it is seriously dangerous to fly in Indonesia. ( I think that it is seriously dangerous simply to DRIVE in Italy... anyway...!)
Yesterday the news are that Indonesia, and expecially Bali, have a high terrorism risk. That's too much!!

Shall I really change my destination?
Shall we have the world hardly divided in countries safe and unsafe for tourists? Shall a few people terrorists condamn countries tourism development?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:34 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: about safe tours

Hi Livia,

I'd say in northern Sulawesi and Toraja country risks are nil. If ever they see someone fishy trying to raise trouble in Toraja, they'll cut his head like a buffalo... you'll feel VERY safe there.
However don't venture into Poso region, there have been some trouble in the past. I have also been around pantai Bira and east of Makassar but there are really lots of madrasas and they occasionally burn down a church... Not saying everyone is mean but except, for the Bugis shipchandlers I didn't find everyone as open as in other places of Indonesia.

You might be safer in Bali if you stay in the beach or countryside, like Amed, Lovina, Padang Bai... not in Kuta not in Ubud. That's where all the tourists are. Bali people are hinduist and don't like very much the idea of holy war going on their land...

I don't know what's the situation like in Flores.

Indonesian companies : it's true we hear that once a year an Indonesian planes crashes somewhere. But flying is a comfortable way to get around, quite cheap by western standards and there are LOTS of flights in Indonesia. I don't think it's more dangerous than African companies (lately Kenya airways has had a plane crash, although it's a very reputable company, even worldwide.. something you just can't manage..) or other South eastern aisan companies, I think Lao Aviation holds a record.

Cheers
Luko
Old 07-09-2007, 12:50 PM
TE Expert

Thank you a lot, Luko! I am looking for advices so much!
My plan was to stop seven night in an hotel in Bali in Sanur beach(I found it connected with flights from Italy through an agency, it would be cheeper than only flights!) , to go to Sulawesi and Toraja and ..Poso!! ... till Togian islands. Then Rinca-Komodo and Flores.
Perhaps I could go to another hotel in Bali, and to avoid Poso and Togian.

You made me dream Indonesia again!!
Ciao, grazie!

Livia
Old 07-09-2007, 03:42 PM
TE Expert

Livia,

1- for many reasons, I don't think it's worth staying in Sanur, probably the least interesting place in Bali, it's a family resort : even Kuta/Legian is a more interesting area. Trafic past Denpasar can be terrible, you'll lose hours to get to the temples or the countryside, it's better to stay outside near to Ubud or like I suggested on the beachside like Padang Bai, Lovina or Amed.

2- there's no need to go through Poso for the Togians, although I've never been there. All the people I know go through Gorontalo. There was a good information site called north-sulawesi.com or something, check on Google.

Cheers
Luko
Old 07-19-2007, 12:05 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Poso region and beyond

Hi Luko:

I saw your comment on this topic. We were planning on going to lake poso region and then to the Bada valley. DO you think we should avoid it all together? What do you know about the safety situation there.

Regards

Daniel