Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-23-2007, 02:39 AM
TE Newbie

Default A trip to Switzerland, tips needed!

Hi Everybody,

I hope to find some answers to a few questions that I have about a trip to Switzerland. Next summer were are travelling to Europe to visit my family and friends. While we are there we will be renting a car and like to go for a trip to Switzerland.

We would like to stay in the Interlaken region for 1 week and rent an apartment/cabin and stay in another place for another 3 nights. While in the Interlaken region we would like to visit the area and hopefully do the following trips: see the mountain regions of Pilatus, Rigi and Jungfraujoch. For the rest of that week we would like to visit the area we stay in and the town of Lucerne. For the other 3 nights we like to stay in the Tasch area so we can go to Zermatt from there and possible a visit to the Matterhorn (weather permitting).

I have the following questions about this trip:
*What are the things we CAN'T MISS on our trip?
*How do the trains work that take you up to see the mountain ranges like Pilatus, Rigi, Jungfraujoch and the Matterhorn? Does anybody have an idea of the cost of these train trips?
*Is it possible to buy a train pass that gives you access to all these train trips?
*Does anybody know a good apartment/chalet/cabins?

All tips are welcome!
Thanks in advance,
Ann
Old 12-23-2007, 05:14 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: A trip to Switzerland, tips needed!

Hi Ann,

All these railways are run by private and independent companies, so there's no general pass that gives you access to all trains. If you're traveling in Switzerland by train and have purchased a Swiss Railway Pass, then you will be offered discounts on each train. To get an idea of the prices, you should check out the web sites. Here are some links:
Jungfraujoch
Rigi
Pilatus
Gornergrat

There's also a general site on Swiss Tourism where you'll find plenty of tips: MySwitzerland.com

Hope this helps.
Brigitte
Old 12-24-2007, 03:45 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: A trip to Switzerland, tips needed!

I would add to the list of Brigitte the Aletschgletscher (also in Wallis, near Brig)

Hotels are all normally good in Swtizerland, even on top of Gornergrat you have a fine hotel ;o)