Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-15-2007, 04:33 AM
TE Junior Member

Default 1 month in around march-april in india where?

my very tentative plans so far:
- fly in or out of delhi (and do the "compulsory" delhi-agra-jaipur)
- varanasi of course
- and spend time mostly rajahstan and/or gujarat
- fly in/out of kolkata or mumbai (especialy need advice which one do you recommend)

it's my first (definitely not the last) time in the subcontintent, i am a budget traveler but willing to splurge or adjust the timing of my visit for any special photo op (festivals, funerals, weddings etc...) i'm not so much into landscapes, ruins or architecture in general (though of course i won't miss the taj if i'm there), looking for street shots, people photos, the unusual, you know that "decisive moment", spending some time off the beaten track, blah-blah-blah (see my intro or better yet my photos...)

thanks to all in advance, i'm sorry i haven't been very active on te lately, i know i missed a lot of wonderful shots :-( ...

happy new year to all!

mark
Old 02-24-2007, 06:54 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: march-april can be very hot !

Specially in north India, in low altitude (Varanasi will be specially steamy, Rajasthan sizzling)...

If it is too much for you, try the mountains in Himachal Pradesh (Manali - Dharamsala, but there are other beautiful places not so touristy). Too early to go to Ladakh, unless you fly there (but in this case you'll need at least one or 2 days to get used to the high altitude).

Kolkata will be equally hot (maybe more bearable than Varanasi and Rajasthan, plus the pollution); Mumbai will be OK.

Watch out for the public holidays in India - a good travel forum where you'll get many more answers in the Thorn Tree (Lonely Planet forum).

Happy travels !
Cath.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:54 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: 1 month in around march-april in india where?

Hi Mark

The itinerary you plan well is the usual one most tourists go for. Varanasi and rajasthan will be hot at this time of the year. Try the Himalayas for a change. April is Spring time and you'll find the people a friendly hospitable lot. Try Himachal Pradesh for a real treat to meadows, villages, towering snow clad mountains. Maybe you could try logging on to visitmanalikullu.com
all the best

arjun
Old 03-29-2007, 08:31 AM
TE Junior Member

I am in North India approx. 300 Kms further North. You ca ask me any specific infrmation tghat you wana ask. I'll be moe than happy to be of an asistance. Im new to TE and recently started posting pictures.

Take care

Hemant
Old 04-01-2007, 06:11 PM
TE Newbie

Dear Mark

You really have to visit the mountains in Himachal Pradesh India for April is a beautiful time.The cherry trees have blossomed and soon the apple orchards too will bear flowers. The hillsides are lush green and you can still snow capped mountains all around. Try visiting www.dragontreks.com for more info.
Think about it.
The other options are the Garhwal Himalayas also beautiful at this time and so is Kashmir but some people dont want to go there due to the political instability. Ladakh can only be approached by air and the weather will be quite cold.
Best wishes

arjun