Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-02-2006, 10:08 AM
TE Newbie

Default 3 Volcanoes

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Italy in June to visit 3 interesting volcanoes and was hoping to generate some enthusiasm among my friends to join me in this endeavour.

Here is the plan.. Naples (Vesuvias), Sicly (Mt Etna) and finally Stromboli (a little and very active volcano) off the coast of Italy.

Before you all get too excited let me tell you that I am doing this by bike and camping along the coast from Naples to Sicily. I am looking for people with like interests and means of transport.

For Etna in Sicily, I am thinking of going around the mountain over three days hitting some good climbs. As for Stromboli, there would be a climb on foot up the mountain and a stay over night at the summit. I am just excited at the thought of taking pictures of lava bursts at night from such a vantage point.

I've done this many times before, and target daily trips that average 50 km with as many stops as needed to take pictures and enjoy the view and/or the food.

So if there are any takers.. I am arriving in Naples June 2.. staying and visiting there for 4 days and then heading down the coast towards Sicily on my bke, with my tent and gear.. stopping along the way to swim, eat and take pictures.. Sicily next and Stromboli and finally back to Naples for a flight back home with some great shots.

Cheers
Yves
Old 04-03-2006, 01:52 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: 3 Volcanoes

Hi Yves, i can only write you few things, cause i visited that palce for few hours or few days, and i don't know very well South Italy.
sure, make strong attenction. in Italy we drive in a wild way...and in the South are champions in that. make attention on the streets around Napoli, where traffic is really dangerous for bicycles. and remember that south of Roma the Cycle Routes doesen't exists (there are few in all Italy!). another things is the hot temperature that sometimes in June can be very, very high, with few days that can be the hottest of the the whole years.
that it's happenede many times in the last 10 years, with terrifiant 1 or 2 weeks of June with temprature in Milan over the 35° and with more than the 60-70% of humidity (so a real temperature higher than 40°). and Milan in 1000 km north than Sicily!!!

last thing...buy a BIG chain lock!!!
better 2 big chain locks!!!

ciao
Old 04-03-2006, 03:17 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks for your advice Paolo. In will be staying outside of Napoli for a few days at the beginning of the trip and will not ride my bike in the city.

I have had some prior experience in this type of cycling trip. Last year I cycled in Sardinia and previously Corsica. So I know all about the driving habits.

As for June weather, I wasn't aware that it could get that hot.

Yves
Old 04-03-2006, 03:31 PM
TE Expert

good choise about the big cities!
in any case, for my experience, people in Sardinia drive not so bad, or in other way, they drives not fast. in other regions of south people drives faster and with more (much more) anarchy!
the weather is deeply changed in Italy in the last years.
normally June wasn't an hot months. July and August were normally the top of summer hot days.
in the last years the top temperature was all in June days.
and, as i wrote before, all that happens 1000 km from the regions that you'll visit, close to the Alps, where just one months ago we had 70 cm of snow!
in Sicily and Calabria you'll can find very hot sunny days.

another important thing...forget to find someone able to talk with you in English or French. outside the big cities is very, very hard.

ciao