Music - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 01:31 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Music

Does anyone know how to disable the irritating advert music?
Old 12-29-2010, 02:32 PM
TE Expert

Default Music (or isit indeed [i]music[/i]?.....and a camera question too..!

Hello Dougie,

Like yourself, I find the irritating music (if you can always call it that - I'm a Beethoven/Brahms/Chopin fan myself) a bit off-putting at times. Personally, I often work at the computer when others have gone to bed and so only really listen through headphones which I have plugged into the computer. As such, I leave the headphones sitting on a shelf and only don them when I want to listen to something - that way I don't have to listen to the irritating advert music unless I so desire.

On another subject, I shall soon be joining yourself in the numbers of the idle poor after many years working for the NHS and should quite like to buy myself a little present for my retirement. I have, like yourself, a wonderful Canon 20D which has given sterling service over the past 5 years. I have no desire to get rid of it but was thinking along the lines of investing in a 5D Mark II to complement it. I like the speed of the 20D: I know that the 7D is even faster but might not actually have greater image quality. I only rarely do "action" or "sports" shots, concentating more on landscape work. Do you find the image quality (as well as the ability to work at higher ISO's) of the 5D a great improvement over the 20D, or do you have any other recommendations?

Kind Regards,

John.

Last edited by tyro; 12-29-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:46 AM

I've never been troubled by advertising music, even with speakers turned on. It just never seems to happen. Perhaps it's just pure luck. I can only suggest turning off the sound, as John has done.

John, I won't give any advice about a new camera (I'm with Pentax), except to say that I think the most important thing to look for with landscapes, no matter which brand you use, is dynamic range. High ISO performance is a boon in dull conditions and when using long lenses, but I'd still love to have a camera that won't blow the highlights and leaves a bit of detail in the shadows, no matter what the ISO setting. But I haven't a clue as to which Canon camera gives relatively the best DR performance at the moment.
Cheers,
Andrew
Old 12-30-2010, 11:54 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi John, I've had a shot with a 7D and it's pretty impressive for sports/action. If I was in your position though I would seriously consider the 5D mkII. Although it did strike me as being of a 'lighter' build quality than the Mk I. Also you may have to check all your lenses for full frame use. Why don't you go to Calumet and hire one for a weekend to try out when you have almost decided? - I think that you can reclaim some of the hire charge if you then buy one.

Rgds, Dougie.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:34 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Music?

I agree with Dougie, the 'music' is very irritating, simply being asked to turn off the sound is not the answer, I may want to listen to my own music from my computer.
I may be boring but all to often people think you want to listen to music everywhere, shops, sporting occasions and so on.
Please arrange for it to be turned off or at least advise the advertisers that it will put me off their advert.
John, enjoy your new camera with your retirement, I worked for the NHS for 35 years and now only do two days a week and I love it.
Bus pass, camera, the world is your oyster.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:46 PM
TE Senior Member

Question Music...?

I really don't understand. Not once have I experienced music while surfing the TE sites. Not from the site itself, nor from any advertisement. And I have not turned my sound off, as I sometime listen to net radio or WMP while surfing.

I thought there was a way of independently turning sounds on or off from the various sources, but I'm not sure. In any way I seem to have found it...
Old 01-01-2011, 09:45 PM

I've never heard music on the site either, but I have seen a previous question on the same subject so something is happening. Maybe it's a specific set of circumstances e.g. browser version and security settings.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:19 PM
TE Senior Member

Default ad block

use firefox and install pluggin called ad-block...