To bajan: I'm sorry I disappoint you... - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great DrorAngkor 2005-02-27 5:55

Good image of one of the most classical subjects there is ...
I like the extra fine detail on the sphynx's face...not easy thing to achieve ...
However the image is slightly tilted and needs cropping and retilting to become horizontal again ...
I've made a WS and will post it tomorrow ...

Old 02-25-2005, 08:55 PM
TE Expert

Default To bajan: I'm sorry I disappoint you...

with my rather gritty look at urban California Randle. You've arrived at a time when the subject under discussion among a few very active members is what exactly we're doing here with our photographic contribution. One member posted a question on the Photography forum called Are we ashamed of ourselves? that prompted me to do a series of photos, including this one, to show the community in which I live while saying something about that community. It isn't a pretty picture, either the photograph or the particular aspects of the culture that I highlight. Yet, contrary to your critique, this is actually a very effective photo that is quite well composed. The Taco Bell sign is the focal point of both the photo and the note. As Bert observes, there is a diagonal that moves up and to the left from the car entering the drive thru to the Taco Bell sign. The lovely blue sky occupies one side of the diagonal while the other side is filled with cars, people and street signage. This is a photo about that intense activity.

You are free, of course, to bring to the board whatever suits your aesthetic taste. You are also free to ignore whatever folks post that holds no interest for you. You can even express your opinion, informed or not, about any subject being discussed. That is one of the beauties about Trek Earth. Welcome Randle. I hope you have a wonderful time.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:19 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To bajan: I'm sorry I disappoint you...

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder; I suppose the saying is equally applicable about lack of beauty.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:42 PM
TE Expert

Default The Place of Beauty...

There are folks who post on TE for whom beauty is the only criteria of importance. You may take that course, if you wish. But there are many here for whom other concerns prevail. That doesn't mean there photos lack technical merit. My photo, for example, is not a random capture tossed on the board. I shoot with good equipment and have some facility with Photoshop. When I compose an image, it is with intention. You are right, of course, that no one is obliged to celebrate my choices, but it is important to note that they were concious choices and not random accidents.

You will find the way here that suits your tastes. My own preferences have evolved during the ten months I've been here. If you were to view the over two hundred photos in my portfolio you would likely see the evolution. Buying a digital SLR affected my choices, as did buying professional grade lenses. I have no idea where my interests will lead me but I'm enjoying the journey. And for five days this week, I've been exploring American culture through words and photos. I hope you've taken the time to see the whole series and to read all of the notes.

Again, enjoy yourself Randle. This is a great place to share photos, to refine ones skills both behind the camera and at the computer. And, there are many very nice folks with whom to share the journey.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:47 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: The Place of Beauty...

I am reminded of the words of Henri Cartier-Bresson, who said words to the effect that "good equipment" does not a photographer make; it is the ability to "see." I adopt those words as guidance and, I believe, Photoshop can be included as an component of "good equipment."
Old 02-26-2005, 01:03 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: The Place of Beauty...

And yet, you invested in a Canon EOS 20D... ;-)

I'll look forward to seeing what HCB's dictum leads you toward. Perhaps your interests would be satisfied by the work of Luko, Sohrab, Maciek and a new member Izzet Keribar. There are many people from whom to learn a thing or two about photography. I remain a willing student.

Good luck finding your way. And congratulations on your choice of camera...
Old 02-26-2005, 01:12 AM
TE Expert

sorry to interrupt this discussion
but bajan, photography doesn't only mean shooting landscapes, trees, buildings etc....
photojournalism is also a form of photography.
curtis is trying to translate his note into this particular photograph.. the big taco bell board does show the significance of the company in this particular area. so in that case curtis is quite successful to me.

since you mentioned henri cartier bresson and since you seem to have a taste for beauty, it'll be interesting to have your views on just a few bresson photographs

1.THIS
2.THIS ONE FOR SURE, SINCE THERE IS NO CLEAR FOCUS
3.THIS
4.THIS ONE TOO

regards.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:07 PM
TE Expert

my congratulations dear Curtis! you were able to remain calm and a gentleman in the pure sense of the word... I shall be very curious to see this new comer's post to evaluate his sense of beauty and I remain most assured that he was getting at you because your dared attack this american way of life! Some people are so sure about their superiority that they cannot stand a different opinion. somehow it reminds me of something..haha!
take care Curtis and please continue in the same vein. do not change a thing!
Eric