Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-25-2009, 08:54 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: rules

My husbands' title was // and it was a tilted photo of the Leaning Tower of Pisa so the title was appropriate. The title wasn't missing and even then, why is it such a problem for the moderators who should concentrate more on weeding out photos which don't respect the TOS.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:39 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: rules

The whole problem can be fixed if the TOS is changed somewhat . . . right now moderation is based on interpretation of a rule . . . so make it clear; "a b c etc. + 0 1 2 etc. " . . . symbols not . . . Arabic not . . . Chinese not . . . Greek not . . . etc.
What I really don't understand is why there is no filter if this is so important? . . . you upload and edit and you get a message that helps you before the problems starts . . . and what I also don't understand is why the photo gets deleted . . . send a message that the title should be changed and if it isn't done . . . then delete the photo . . . people most probably have spend time on the photo . . . writing critiques . . . making workshops . . .

The fact that the moderator in question keeps spending time on this . . . when other moderators say they don't have enough time is also a good reason to change the TOS . . . and it would be nice to hear WHY symbols are not allowed.

in my opinion some symbols should be allowed . . . not to have a different opinion but because I like the idea to break away from the known . . . the usual . . . it's nothing strange in art . . . and photography sometimes is art
Old 01-26-2009, 03:37 PM
TE Expert

Default on impossible titles

On impossible titles...

I wanted to upload the title "the great mosque of Djennι", but found that impossible, because of the in Djennι. I had the same problem before with another title, something with "Cιvennes" in it. A bit strange, as an ι is not an e is not an θ.

Or is there a way around this? Now I just shortened the title, which is OK, but I still think it's a bit strange.

Benny
Old 01-26-2009, 03:52 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: on impossible titles

I'm afraid I cannot answer you...any moderator available? :)
Old 01-26-2009, 06:03 PM
TE Junior Member

I will check with the tech team to see if there's a way to enable titles to show accents. Or, like you mention, a better, maybe tech-limit way of prohibiting "unacceptable" titles.

Thanks for bringing this up!
Old 01-26-2009, 08:08 PM
TE Expert

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/South_America/Brazil/photo1020643.htm
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/South_America/Brazil/photo1021658.htm
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/South_America/Brazil/photo1023102.htm

the three images above contain diacritics in the titles...

btw, I remember a beautiful photo I saw ages ago here and the title was /). Adam saw no problem in it, because it was a representation of the image itself.

My 2 cents.
Peace.
Isabel
Old 01-27-2009, 01:26 PM

Hi JuCo,

Good to see a comment from a mod on the board. Checking for an acceptable title at upload time does seem the logical route. The system throws up other errors if some fields haven't been completed so it seems it should be possible, but I'm no expert on the workings of websites.
On the original subject of 'Flexibility in the rules' - I agree that would be nice. The big problem is that although most would appreciate that action and use it reasonably, you would always get the few who push way beyond the boundaries and make it bad for everyone.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:35 PM
TE Senior Member

I think it's very important to see the right accents in some names of places. If we write something wrong in for existance a French place, a moderator points this to us. Therefore I believe accents are as important... Would be a good thing when this could be realised.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:19 PM
TE Expert

Just managed to upload a shot with "cafι" in the title. Maybe the is not allowed only in the file-name? Still a bit confused on this...

Benny
Old 01-27-2009, 10:59 PM
TE Junior Member

A-ha! The plot thickens! Let me check with tech...perhaps it is just in the file name. And I agree, none of this should be manual!

Thanks for all the feedback. :)