Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-21-2009, 05:54 PM
TE Junior Member

Default TrekEarth: Flattering Place to Post Images?

Hi TE brothers, sisters, moderators, and anyone bored enough to read my thread,

Is anyone else finding TE to be descending into a rather unattractive place to display one's images? The color scheme has never really been the wisest of choices. Maybe it's just me but recently I am finding all the flashing advertisements to be really distracting and a bit tacky. This is such a great community and there are so many incredible images stored here but I'm actually starting to feel a slight blush of embarrassment at the presentation - which can't be good right? I think I've read that there are upgrades or enhancements in the works which would be great. Any truth or even the vaguest of timelines on that?

I was just wondering how others feel about this and I sure don't want this to descend into a TE bash. I like to get some opinions before the thread gets locked. Apologies if this has been discussed before but my searches have turned up nothing.

Bob G.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 PM
TE Senior Member

Default boring :)

Bob . . . you are publicly saying you don't like the colors?

tsss tsss tsss

everybody likes colors on TE :)

:)))))
TFS :)
Old 01-21-2009, 09:57 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: TrekEarth: Flattering Place to Post Images?

Hi Bob
I don't have any flashing adverts on my screen! Just some discrete ones down the left as always. I seem to remember a thread a long time ago and think it is either to do with whether or not you are permanently logged in and/or which server you use. I was going to log off and see if I got them but stupidly can't remember how to do it. I can't see a log-off icon anywhere! I'm just on Internet Explorer with Vista.
Kath
PS I agree about the colour!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:50 PM
TE Senior Member

I don't get the flashy adds either, even if I log off (select the TE logo top left and then just below the welcome message will be a logout option). However on another machine I do, until I log on. And yes, they are certainly tacky. I guess how much this troubles you depends on your objectives. If you are thinking TE is a place to display images for sale etc, then it would detract from that, if you just want to use it for viewing/commenting on others images and receiving feedback on yours, it may be irritating, but not fatal. As to the general appearance - I agree, compared to other sites the look and feel is pretty clunky.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:14 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Bob,
I don't recall ever seeing flashing ads in TE, whether I'm logged in or not. But my memory is not what it used to be :) Anyway, what I'd do with other flashing ads (in Windows) is (a) slide the window to the left, thus hiding the ad, or (b) open something small like Calculator and lay it over the ad, or even open notepad and resize it to fit.

As for the color scheme, well, I use my own. I set my Windows color scheme to black text on gray background. In IE Tools, options, accessibilty, I check Ignore colors specified on web pages. Thus websites generally appear with black text over a gray background. (I do this not to be different, but because my eyes are overly sensitive to white backgrounds on a computer monitor.)
Best regards,
Lamberto
Old 02-01-2009, 03:42 AM
TE Junior Member

I understand what your saying, and I have actually moved away from TE for the most part. I've seen the flash advertisements and such also. I think TE has always been more about the actual pictures and less about thte presentation really. I know people who have had photos deleted because of framing, so, that should say something. It's not too bad of a thing. Honestly, the only site I've found where you can do what you want presentation wise is pbase. Look at my front page of galleries here than look at mine on pbase:
http://www.pbase.com/happypoppeye ...it's a world of difference and it all depends on what your looking for. Note also that I haven't posted any photos in about a week there because I have been working on the presentation... More of an artwork meets photography site.

Take a look at these for the full potential:
http://www.pbase.com/eldarrio/1666
http://www.pbase.com/eldarrio/hell
http://www.pbase.com/eldarrio/root

...basically a photographer/programmers dream site. Maybe that's what your looking for.
John